STRAT: 3 way or 5 way blade switch?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DWB1960, Feb 28, 2008.

1. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

After years of using 5 way switches I've recently converted to a 3 way and really dig it much more. 95% of the time I was always using positions 1, 3, and 5 and always switching between them while soloing - not always easy to do on the fly with the 5 way.

With the 3 way it is sooo much easier nailing pickup changes mid flight. And for the occasional rare times I want some quack you just need to set the switch on an in-between setting.

I don't think I'll ever go back to 5 way switching again.

2. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I hear ya, but pos. 4 is where I spend a lot of strat time, so its gotta be a 5-way for me.

3. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

What pups are you using? I mostly use 1-3-5 anyway, but there are times when I will use 4.

4. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

Suhr V60LPs, Angeltones, Fender Custom Shop 60s - depends on the strat - and I have a few of them.

Which is position 4? Bridge/middle or Neck/middle.

One other thing, I removed the bottom tone pot from the middle pickup and switched it to the bridge. This gives
    the middle pickup position alone a heck of a lot more quack than with the tone pot connected. Turn down the volume
    and it sounds almost just like the old neck/middle position.

5. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I call pos. 4 middle/neck. I think the 'official' order starts with the bridge being pos. 1.

6. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

The American Deluxe Strat five-way switch with the SCN pickups gives you ten distinct tones.

You can make some fine music with this guitar.

The SCN pickups in their own right are good pickups. They are also quiet, no matter which of the ten settings you select. I have two Nocasters with the Vintage Pickups. Sweet. The SCNs are good and worth a serious listen.

Bill Lawrence has a good ear.

7. redeyejedi

redeyejedi Member

I don't like 5 ways either but I love the quack. I fixed the problem with a 3 way for the neck and bridge, and an on/off for the middle. I loose the middle but it's not that important in my H/S/H setup.