Strat Addict

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 1962FenderStrat, Feb 25, 2012.

1. 1962FenderStrat

1962FenderStrat Senior Member

I've realized I'm a slave to Strats. All I think about when it comes to guitars is Strats, Strats, Strats. I have a Tele and a Ibanez jazzbox for me, a Strat, is THE guitar.
    Already have a 57 & a 62 AVRI, but I feel that's not enough.
    On my "to buy" list there are:

Eric Johnson Sign. Strat (candy apple red or sunburst with maple fretboard)
    Suhr Classic (with ML pickups)

Anyone else feeling the same, or similar?:huh

2. moosewayne

moosewayne Member

I hear ya, brother!!
    7 and counting.
    BTW-My 2 main Strats are candy apple red and sunburst w/ maple.
    A hardtail Strat is THE perfect electric guitar--for me, anyway.

3. AllmanFan

AllmanFan Silver Supporting Member

The feel of strats is amazing but sometimes, for me, they are a little one dimensional. I would suggest throwing some humbuggies in one or get an HSH setup just to change it up a little.

4. G Man

G Man Member

I am still trying to find strat I get along with. I'm getting ready to try again once I sell off a few, but so far, I just don't get along with them.

5. 1962FenderStrat

What do you get along with, and why? Just curious

6. G Man

G Man Member

They just don't feel right in hand. Like the big old gumby body doesn't fit right or something. I am also mostly a 24.75" scale player and just recently got an ASAT that is making me comfortable with the longer scale length. As I said, I will give them another chance, but I got to move some stuff first.

7. jamdogg

jamdogg Member

there is nothing like a good super strat.

8. jazzrat

jazzrat Member

I love teles and and my favorite guitar of all time is the 335. That being said, I really only feel like me on a strat. I've downsized to a couple good ones. An EJ Rosewood and a new series AmDlx V-neck. They are enough different that they compliment each other well.

9. MasterEvan07

MasterEvan07 Supporting Member

I want to love my Strat...I do love that Strat sound and think that a smokin', blues wailing, hard driven Strat is one of the greatest sounds in blues/rock.

...but despite several different setup approaches I can never seem to get mine set up right or to stay in tune very well...it's quite frustrating since I once played a vintage Strat in Nashville that was the best playing and sounding guitar I've ever picked up. Why...why can't mine be like that? :(

10. superrock

superrock Silver Supporting Member

strats. addictive. yep. variants for deviants and heads abound. problematic at best.:drink

11. GearPaul

GearPaul Member

I'm addicted to Strat-shaped guitars. My main two are partscasters and I just bolted together a third partscaster

12. dcooper830

dcooper830 Member

Yeah I LOVE Stats!!

But I only like SSS / maple ones.

I love playing one through a Tubesreamer into a cranked up tube amp.

I just set the amp and forget it and I can get all kinds of great sounds just switching around on the guitar.

Just pure Heaven for playing Mowtown, oldies, R&B, and blues stuff. Jazz and country too.

13. dazco

dazco Member

They do it all and well. Once you play strats for a while they become part of you and it's nearly impossible to feel the same way about anything else. They are IMO the perfect electric guitar. Plus within the model you can have many different ones they all sound and feel different. I'm in the market for a ash bodied maple neck at the moment, and i can't wait to find the right one.

14. cratz2

cratz2 Member

I'm actually not sure how many strats I own as I type this and have distinct plans for two more.

Hey... I stick with what I know.

15. 1962FenderStrat

:eek:

Nice!

16. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

:worthless

1994 62RI

[​IMG]

My #1 a 1978 Strat

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2010 62RI

[​IMG]

17. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

18. MashedPotatoes

MashedPotatoes Member

I've owned 6 different Strats throughout the years. I'm addicted as well, and we're not in the minority.

My current go-to:

[​IMG]

19. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

Love that, so cool :cool: I play other guitars, but strats will always feel like home to me- they just feel right in my hands like no other guitar. My one and only strat right now, although I've owned a bunch over the years- this one's really a beast, love it:

[​IMG]

20. GibsonLives

GibsonLives Supporting Member

I currently have three Strats: an '81 (last of the '70s-era, but with a thinner, soft-V neck as opposed to the big, fat U-shape necks associated with most Strats of that era), an '87 Strat Plus (great guitar, but I'm selling it, since I never seem to play it), and lastly, an all-original '82 Dan Smith Strat in great shape. The Smith is my current #1 - even though I recently picked up a '74 Les Paul Custom which, like all others mentioned, is a great guitar). In fact, the Smith has pushed me to coin a new (at least it's new to me) phrase: "deathbed guitar", meaning i NEVER plan to sell it as long as I live. Unlike the '70s Strats, the Smith is light and resonant, as Fender were at that point trying to get back to something closer to the Strats of George and Leo. And the neck is unlike any Strat neck I've ever played; it's got a flater fretboard radius than those from the '70s, and zero shoulders. It just seems to melt in my hand, begging me to take it out of its case and play it the way no other guitar has quite done. I'm not sure if the OP is a vintage Strat guy like I am, but I would highly reccommend anyone who digs Strats check out one of these beauties. I've got the first post-'70s-era Standard Strats (the only ones rightly called "dan Smith Strats"), not the "Revised Standard", which came out the following year; while these "Revised Standards" allegedly also have the neck-shape I mentioned, they also have a wonky "Free Flight" tremolo system, and a two-knob design, with the input jack taking the place of the traditional third knob, right on the pickguard, as opposed to the angled jack Strat-fanatics are used to; a thoroughly un-Stratlike Strat, IMO. Anyway, check out the 3-knob Smith Strats from '82, and let me know how you like them.
    Steve