1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Strat Adoption Society

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by richey88, Jan 25, 2008.

1. richey88

richey88 Member

Share your stories!!

Here's mine:

I play in this band, our soundman hands me this completely abused candy apple red Strat. I thought it was a Squier or copy or something. It had an inch of gunk on it, been rolling around for 3 YEARS in some dude’s trunk. He asks, “Can this be saved?”

I look closer and it’s a MIJ from 84-86 per the serial # (had a locking trem, someone made the whammy arm hole unusable) and no clamp at the headstock. The whammy was useless, so I block off the trem and grab a rag….

Poor thing, it only had like 2 decent gashes in it. After a twist of the truss rod, a new jack and back pickup, a shitload of elbow grease, and a set of 10’s…HOLY STRAT MOJO!

Flat as hell Rosewood neck, big frets (amazing condition for an 80’s) and the coolest 4th position quack ya ever heard (I usually like the bridge/middle spank)!

I felt all warm and fuzzy when I played it at a gig and everyone goes “new axe?” It was sad the way this antiquity was neglected. If the guy asks for it back, he’s gonna get my Saga frankencaster. Post pics when I get a new memory card.

Just wanted to share and hope us Strat lovers enjoyed the story.

www.myspace.com/richeylatherandtheconditioners

2. paddywhack

paddywhack Silver Supporting Member

...in 1969 my brother brought home a strat that he'd just bought for 10 dollars.....it was old (not more than 15) and someone had just put their own refin on it....a yellow krinkle paint job that they put over the entire guitar...pickups...hardware...everything but the neck....my brother gave it to me and i stripped it and put a clear lacquer finish on it and repainted the pickguard matte black...it took me days to get rid of that yellow krinkle paint....i played it until i realized i wasn't gonna be able to play like Hendrix then traded it for a 65 SG to try and play like Clapton which didn't happen either.....one day my brother took the SG and sold it claiming it was his by right as he had bought the Strat...i was devastated but many years later...out of the blue....he gave me a PRS custom 24 to erase the guilt he'd been carrying for all those years....

3. rastus

rastus Member

I've had a couple "rescue" strats. The first was a 56 hardtail bought in Mississippi from an old guy that thought it'd look better in black, so....he painted the entire guitar with a rattle can-fingerboard, hardware, plastic, everything. It was painstaking getting the paint off, and the guitar had to be re-cleared-but the finish was pretty well intact under there. Good guitar, but I sold it later on.

Then there is this 63-The owner had tried to strip it's body finish in a sandblasting cabinet, then cut a hole in the body to make a "carrying handle". It now has a Fiesta Red reissue body-All the parts on the wasted body here are on it. The neck was in a permanent up-bow due to heavy acoustic strings and storage outdoors in a tool shed. I use it for slide and it works real good. I don't have very much in it, but people think I'm real cool when I whip out a Fiesta pre CBS Start for slide work. And it does sound real good! Here is a pic of the poor abused beast when I first saw it.[​IMG]

4. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

I'm dying for after pic!!^^^^^ Cool stories!

5. rastus

rastus Member

I looked through my computer-no pics of it on here. It's over at my bud's house ( I play bottleneck on a couple songs during our set with it), next time I'm over there, I'll snap a couple pics of it and post em- the only thing not still on it is the mint guard- I took it off to put on another real clean 62 that had a lot of cracks, etc on it's guard. The red one has a black early 70's guard on it right now-looks kinda cool though.

6. JDandCoke

JDandCoke Member

i was in a music shop looking for teles. id been in there a few hours and went to get lunch. i was invited upstairs to the office to eat my lunch with one of the workers there so we could discuss teles some more.
    around the office they have guitars that have been bought in for repair/need cleaning up/returns etc

i spy this beat up strat hanging in the corner
    made a little gesture towards it and was told that some young teenager tried to do a relic job on it. it looks like someone just took a hammer to it.
    took it down anyway just to fiddle a little. neck looked untouched. it was actually a 50th anni USA strat in the 3 tone burst.
    the neck was perfect after a very brief set up and some new strings. the body looked beaten up but was still perfectly usable except for one sticky pot and one loose pot. the jack could do with being clamped too. and one of the strap buttons was bent.

anyway set it up and plugged it in... and took it home that day.
    it sounded so right to me and the price was great as it looked so poor. wasnt sanded at all just lots of dents in it.
    and considering i was dead set on getting a tele too...