Strat American Standard vs Squier MIJ?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by angus99, Dec 23, 2019.

1. angus99

angus99 Member

The AS is 2008 and completely stock. The MIJ is from the mid 80s and the pickups may have been replaced. Both are very good to excellent; the AS is perhaps priced lower and the MIJ slightly higher than what I see on Reverb. I’m buying this as a gift and am far from an expert on electrics. Any inherent reason to look harder at one vs the other?

2. Dickey

Dickey Member

MIJ, or ANY non-American made Fenders, always seem to have tuning stability & intonation issues, not to mention cheap electrics.
    Buy the American...unless you have a shortage of firewood.
    It's a no brainer.

Tootone likes this.
  3. marmalade cream

marmalade cream Member

I'm pretty sure 2008 was the year American Strats started coming standard with Fat 50's pickups, which I'm a big fan of. Go for the USA!

4. storm319

storm319 Member

Custom Shop pickups didn’t start until 2012. 2008 was the transition from American “Series” back to “Standard” name. 2008-2011 had the same American Standard pickups as the American Series.

marmalade cream likes this.
  5. Ejay

Ejay Member

I own a late 80s MIJ since 91..perfectly good guitar..no tuning or intonation issues.
    All the other mij I stumbled on seemed to be fine in that department also.

6. phoghat

phoghat Member

This is a silly, inaccurate statement.

7. willc68

willc68 Member

I have a 86 Squier Strat that plays and sounds better than a lot of the USA Strats that I have owned or played.

There are dogs and gems at all price points.

John Hurtt likes this.
  8. Tootone

Tootone Member

Go for the USA.

All the fundamental components and engineering are there for a great guitar, even it needs a bit of a set up.

If the Squier is screwed, it is likely beyond redemption.

9. marmalade cream

marmalade cream Member

Dang you're right, should have checked my math beforehand!

That said, I don't think the standard pickups were bad or anything. I just really liked the Fat 50's.

10. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Member

Buying as a gift for who?
    Not enough info as there are different models of mid eighties Squiers. Note that the post CBS MIJ Squier std was given a Fender logo and sold as a MIJ standard stratocaster after a year or two. As a general rule the Squiers were more similar to vintage style strats than Amstds/Amseries which had more modern features. I mean stuff like trems, fret sizes, neck radius, biflex truss rods, tbx tone knobs etc. Again this depends on the Squier model. My experience is that import guitars from wherever can stay in tune fine with proper setup and string changing. However I would expect the asking price on the MIA strat to be higher than the MIJ Squier.