Strat and phat cat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Melville1851, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Melville1851

Melville1851 Member

I've got mim strat that has a sd pearly gates bucker in the bridge. There are a lot of great sounds to be had but i want more clarity and chime in the cleans as well as the "woolier" overdrive of single coils. Would a seymour duncan phat cat get me there? will it fit?

2. edward

edward Supporting Member

The SD phat cat is a drop-in bucker-sized replacement.
    It can definitely get "wooly" OD single-coil style timbre, but as for more clarity and chime than the pearly, I've never had a chance to A/B so couldn't tell ya. But FWIW, I'd try it as a SC pup (even hot-ish winds) can get you good clarity and chime when dialed back at the volume knob or amp.

Edward

3. Melville1851

Melville1851 Member

Alright, im glad to hear about the woolyness. The price is right on the thing as well. Do you find it harsh at all, or too thin?

4. alaskafingers

alaskafingers Member

I think it would be a great pup for that guitar. I've got two in my Campbell. They provide a terrific compromise between single-coil snarl and hum-bucker fatness.

5. Melville1851

Melville1851 Member

How does the phat cat do with 250k pots?

6. stilesg57

stilesg57 Member

Damn -- this thread has me thinking...BG Pups Pure 90 in white.

I just popped a white Seth Lover trembucker into the bridge of my Lone Star Strat over the weekend so I'm not going to do anything drastic that quick ;) I am enjoying the Seth a lot more than the Pearly Gates Plus that was in there, but I have to admit it might just be a little too civilized for this guitar...

7. Melville1851

Melville1851 Member

Ooh never seen those before. I'm getting the phat cat put in at the bridge i think. I think i might have 500k vol pot put in. I have a classic stack plus and a cool rails in my strat. I'm hoping it wont make them to shrill. But hey. Thats what tone controls are for. Beside's, I'm playing through a vox with ton'so'mids.

8. Melville1851

Melville1851 Member

thankee, didn't find that on my search.

9. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

I think the PC works best with a 500K pot in the neck slot, but either 500K or 250K could work in the bridge. You have to get the PC pretty close to the strings to get a fat bridge pickup tone, but the A2 mags are pretty amenable to that.