Strat bodies?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by simon_62, May 3, 2008.

1. simon_62

simon_62 Member

Where can i get a decent hard tail strat body from? Id like some colour choice and one or two options on it, just wondered if anywheres cheaper/better than warmoth cheers

2. paddywhack

paddywhack Silver Supporting Member

www.guitarmill.com

pricewise probably about the same as Warmouth...very nice stuff....check out the featherweight stuff....my next project is gonna be a featherweight hardtail strat....

3. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

probably anything cheaper than warmoth, youre not gonna get options.

Trust me. spring for the extra $$$, cuz the warmoth quality is incredible.

4. serial

serial Member

I'll never buy another Warmoth. Overpriced and the Tele Custom body that I got from them was pretty poor (over $500 years ago)-the neck pickup route wouldn't accept a US Vintage RI pickup and the binding scraping was pretty bad. They were the only game in town and their customer service wasn't good I didn't think. They basically told me where I could stick the body.

I've heard great stuff about Guitarmill and my personal fave for accuracy, quality and price is Musikraft.

I've bought many necks and bodies over the years and I'm VERY glad that there are alternatives to Warmoth.

5. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

6. Loni Specter

Loni Specter Member

7. gec78221

gec78221 Supporting Member

USA, for me as well... Then send it to MJ telecasters for nitro & paint.....

8. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

Warmoth make top notch stuff with tons of options.
    USACG conistently gets high marks.
    Guitar Mill - I bought a body from the off of eBay - good stuff.
    All Parts
    WD
    Mighty Might
    Ednehaus

9. simon_62

simon_62 Member

Thanks for the replies, I like the idea of those guitarmill featherweight ones, id been looking at a warmoth semi-hollow as well :)

Heres roughly what im aiming to end up with btw, probably the fiesta red one;

[​IMG]

10. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Respectfully:

I like Warmoth necks a lot, specifically Vintage Modern Fatback and Boatneck Tele and Strat necks. Nice Indian Rosewood, bonus birdseye or intro tier birdseye/flame; nice stuff, under $ 200. Great quality and abundance.

But when it comes to bodies, the W details aren't right. USACG is spot on, and Tommy Rosamond has a way of selecting wood, he's in a class by himself. They have 2 real nice Strat hardtail bodies (recently sold) still showing on their specials page. I've bought about 12 bodies at USACG; nothing remotely like a dud and a number of them under $ 100. Amazing. 5 one piece bodies, not a one over $ 200.

Tommy is the guy you actually call and he wants to know personally what you want. Use the wrong terminology and he won't laugh at you. There are some nice guys, some skilled order fillers at Warmoth but you're not talking to Ken Warmoth; for 2 enterprises so close in proximity, the cultures could simply not be different. If you don't believe me, try and order a true 1.65 at the nut guitar neck from Warmoth. Sorry, choose 1.625 or 1.675.

Tommy's done more than a few thinline Strat bodies, in ash, alder, mahogany, and with different types of caps. I love the more "G + L" contours of the USACG bodies, not so heavily chamfered. Always easier to sand wood off than add it back on, I think.

Bubbanov

11. simon_62

simon_62 Member

What do you mean by warmoth dont get the body details right? Just wanted to clarify :)

12. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

Warmoth stuff is excellent quality IMO - I've built many guitars using their bodies and necks and have only had a couple of minor issues that were taken care of in short order. Considering the volume of parts they produce I think they do a bang up job for the buck.

Check out their Showcase for ready to ship bodies and necks.

13. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

At different times, I gave USACG and Musikraft parts to two techs. Both made comments about on how nice the workmanship and specs were on the USACG. They said the other was very off and showed me. They didn't know where I got either one.