strat bridge issue

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rollyfoster, Jul 24, 2008.

1. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

i recently got a new strat to replace my ill-fated beck strat. this one has a 6 screw bridge and i really miss the 2 post bridge on the beck. the 6 screw just doesn't feel right/as smooth. any advice on dealing with this or tips on making the 6 screw bridge move more smoothly? can screws be removed?

and while i'm at it, just remembered that i've got a loose whammy bar. even when screwed in all the way, it rocks a little bit in the hole.

2. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Back out the middle screws a bit. The whammy bar will have a little wiggle. I like it like that, but some guys use tape (teflon?) around it to keep it snug. Should have a little spring in there too.

I like the six screw because it's not real slinky feeling like the two post trem. I've never compared the two but I always end up like the tone and feel of a strat with a six screw trem. I guess there's pros and cons to anything.

3. Axekisser

Axekisser Member

Loosen the middle screws, use chapstick or vaseline to lube all the buggers and enjoy the "vintage" feel!

4. rollyfoster

sweet, i'll try loosening the screws a bit. thanks!

5. VanR

VanR Senior Member

Keep the 2 outer screws where they are. Just loosen the middle 4 a few turns. This will simulate the 2 point bridge somewhat.

6. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

I'm in the same situation, I just went back to my vintage set-up. To get the bridge to "float" a bit more, I removed 2 springs from the block and angled the 3 left from outer edges of the block to the center of the bracket at the body..I loosened up the center screws as discribed and dailed in the truss and saddles since my action is a hair higher which is good for me. I found my Wilkinson too touchy but a great bridge non the less..

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  7. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

I suggest a Callaham trem block to eliminate the play in the arm and his hardened steel trem mounting screws (or an entire Callaham bridge...really great stuff). The key to the 6 screw bridge is to make sure nothing binds or rubs. It's easy to test when the springs are off. It's also good to know that it doesn't really take all 6 screws to create a stable pivot point...I've used as few as 2 on some guitars where the holes in the body weren't drilled & aligned perfectly.

8. nsriley

nsriley Member

I hate play in the arm, so I use Teflon plumbers tape on the arm threads to keep it tight.

I use three springs equal spaces and parallel with 10-46 strings. I also use Big Bends nut sauce on all string contact points and under the bridge plate itself where it contacts the body pivot point.

I float my my bride to Fender specs 3/32 of an inch off the body.

9. rollyfoster

and how does she feel about that?

10. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member