• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Strat bridge pickup

authen

I have a 1977 Fender Strat. The bridge pickup went out about a year ago, and I replaced it with a SD stacked HB. I want to go back to a regular Strat style single coil. I do want some fatness - not too twangy. Any suggestions? The other two PU's sound great BTW.

Thanks -

Axe-maniac

Talk to Pete Biltoft at Vintage Vibe Guitars and get him to wind you a SP-90 for the bridge. It is the best strat bridge pickup I have ever heard. It is warm and full, no twangyness at all. I have my tone control wired to the bridge pup so i can just roll out a little of the high end if required. I have the fuill set of SP-90's in my strat and they have ended my search for good.

Last edited:
I have a 1977 Fender Strat. The bridge pickup went out about a year ago, and I replaced it with a SD stacked HB. I want to go back to a regular Strat style single coil. I do want some fatness - not too twangy. Any suggestions? The other two PU's sound great BTW.

Thanks -
You should definitely consider either the Suhr FL or V60lp.

Lolaviola

Silver Supporting Member
I'd have Fralin re-wind the original and then add the baseplate. I think it does wonders for a strat, without really changing the tone drastically.

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
I'd have Fralin re-wind the original and then add the baseplate. I think it does wonders for a strat, without really changing the tone drastically.

Probably what i'd do. Or Wolfetone. Either way get the original rewound.

Dr. Lo

If you want a fatter sounding bridge pickup that is still a single-coil, you may also want to consider the Seymour Duncan SSL-5 or SSL-6.

Another option is the new DiMarzio Virtual Solo. It is hum-cancelling, fatter than a typical vintage bridge singlecoil (but certainly still sounds like a single-coil as opposed to a 'bucker), but not as fat as the SSL-5 or SSL-6.

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
You could also go the way of a Lace Sensor... they're very quiet and have several options for the bridge. I like the red Lace in that position.

Steven

+1. But the best mod to a strat IMO is make the middle pickup tone control to work on the bridge pickup instead.

fr8_trane

Silver Supporting Member
+1. But the best mod to a strat IMO is make the middle pickup tone control to work on the bridge pickup instead.
Yes.

Try this first. You will be amazed how much fatter the stock bridge will sound with the tone rolled off.

If its still not fat enough try a noiseless hot single in the bridge (dimarzio makes several that are quite good). I much prefer the noisless bridge pickups over ANY true single or side by side single coil sized humbucker.

IMO they retain the good parts of the single coil sound and add the right amount of fatness. Even purists should give this a try because lets face it - the traditional strat bridge tone isn't exactly highly regarded especially compared to say... the tele bridge tone. The strat bridge tone is thus ripe for experimentation.

Muzzy

Silver Supporting Member
The VanZantd rock is a great bridge pickup with vintage single coils. Just the right amount of volume for the bridge and still sounds stratty.

phusana

Another option I like to tame the bridge pup tone is the Blender wiring mod:
1. Master Vol.
2. Master Tone
3. Blends bridge with neck pickup.

thesjkexperienc

^^^ I made this guitar^^^
It is now a vintage guitar. Dont touch the original pickup. Consider a Fralin blues special or fatter pickup. The best pickups are Don Mare, but I think he only sells sets.

Travst

While I do use boutique pups in guitars, I'll offer a lower-end suggestion in case you're on a budget. I have a hardtail that I really like with a Duncan SSL-4 in the bridge and the Jimmy Vaughn wiring mod that adds a tone control for the bridge pickup. I just picked up an entire set of 3 for $50, used.

Whiskeyrebel

Silver Supporting Member
I have a bridge pickup from a Peavey Predator strat copy. It is a little hotter and more midrangey than a Fender pickup, but not nearly like a humbucker or full size P90. I removed it to install a SD Scorcher humbucker.

Send me a self-addressed stamped envelope to mail it in and you can have it. If you like it, it's yours. If you don't, it only cost you postage. PM me for my address.

Lolaviola

Silver Supporting Member
It is now a vintage guitar. Dont touch the original pickup. Consider a Fralin blues special or fatter pickup. The best pickups are Don Mare, but I think he only sells sets.
When the OP says "the original p/u went out years ago," I assume it stopped working. If it is available, rewinding it will "fix" it and a lot of Fralin's business is fixing vintage instruments. IMO a "fralin rewind" is a selling point, especially if it was to fix a non-working guitar.
If the customer wants, a fralin re-wind may include extra turns to give it that "blues" sound, custom-made to your liking. So it's like having your cake (all-original p/u's) and eating it too, (fatter tone.)
Also a lot of pickups can be fixed without re-winding.

Whiskeyrebel

Silver Supporting Member
In case the OP takes me up on my offer, does any body know how much postage you need to put on a bubble envelope to mail a single coil pickup?

Trending Topics