Strat bridge placement off?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by slide2xxx, Feb 20, 2012.

1. slide2xxx

slide2xxx Member

Hey guys,

so there's the thing:
    I recently switched out the bridge on my Mexican strat for a Callahan bridge assembly.
    All went well, and I'm quite happy with the results, soundwise.

However: For some reason, the low E-string is now very, very close to the edge of the fretboard on the higher frets.
    So close, in fact, that I keep pulling the string off the fretboard in normal play.

I tried to adjust it by moving the saddles a little, but when tuning to pitch, they always seem to staighten themselves out again and the problem remains.

The difference in clearance between low E / fretboard edge and high E / fretboard edge is clearly visible. At the nut it's ok, however.

So, my conclusion: The bridge placement must be off, somehow...

Anyone has experienced such a thing before?
    Any tipps (besides the obvious: taking it to a luthier) how this might be fixed?
    Can a luthier fix it for a reasonable amount of money?

I really kinda like the guitar...

Thanks!

2. joeybsyc

joeybsyc Member

Try loosening the neck screws slightly and giving the neck a tug in the direction it needs to go.

3. slide2xxx

slide2xxx Member

Haha...I sure feel pretty dumb now... :eek:

That did the trick.

Thanks, man!

4. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Do an "advanced search" for the Walter W Chiropractic neck adjustment trick; there's some real cool methodology there. Looking on problems as opportunities, the narrow Fender style heel does require us to be meticulous about getting the neck perfectly aligned - you may as well clean the crud out of the pocket, clean those body neck holes out to 11/64ths inches and get that neck down deep in the pocket which yer at it! :^)