Strat Bridge pup:Fralin Blues w/Bass Plate, Steel Pole43, or Duncan Mini59?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Troubleman, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

I need a ripping bridge pickup that doesn't stray too far from Stratville - needs to be able to cluck & quack when used in combination with the middle pickup, but provide plenty-o-bark/bite and crunch when used with a Fulltone OCD or Xotic BB. In one of my mutt-Strats I have a Duncan miniJB. It crunches and barks, but you really have to roll back the tone control and it doesn't play nicely with the middle pickup.

Gonna pull the trigger this week, opinions valued - whatcha think?

thanks,

jb

2. Luke V

Luke V Member

I really like the SP43 but it is getting away from Stratsville, I'm not worried about vintage tone. I also like the Texas Special with a steel plate, a bit more Strat like.

3. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

+1!!!!!

4. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

I'm not worried about "vintage" tone per se, but I would like my bridge pickup to do one Stratocaster thing in particular - the "in between" cluck/quack thing when used in combination with the middle pickup. Other than that - authoritative bark and crunch. It need not sound like a Strat when doing those things.....

jb

5. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

Duncan Hot Rails work well - especially if you install a series-parallel or series-single-parallel switch. In series, the Hot Rail is NASTY overdrive. I have gotten very decent bridge-middle quack - admittedly not a classic Strat - but definitely something similar. Parallel will give you single coil-like sheen without the noise - the single selection in a 3-way switching scenario can often be noisy.

[​IMG]

6. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

A Fralin Steel Pole 43 would be a great choice, particularly if, when ordering it, you ask Lindy to tap it at 6.0K ohms and hook the tap up to a minitoggle so you can switch between P90-ish and legit Strat tones (as I have done with Dark Star, below).

[​IMG]

Another fine option if you can get beyond "trad Strat": a Harmonic Design STP. I've loved the ones I've heard and have one on order now for the bridge slot of my Reverend Avenger.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. RedMitch

RedMitch Member

I have a Duncan JB Jr in one of my Strats which is set up so that it cancels out one of the JB's coils when in the 4th position on the 5 position switch. The switch is actually a 'Super Switch' which allows some extra wiring combinations. So it works & sounds exactly like a stock Strat (normal Strat quack) except in position 5 where its' humbucking & no extra fiddling to do with switching on the fly live.

I also have another Strat with vintage style Fralin's with a 5% overwind & baseplate on the bridge pup. Its' a real nice usable Strat bridge sound, but I wouldn't call it ripping exactly.

They're really two totally different approaches.

8. LightninBoy

LightninBoy Member

I use a Fralin Real '54 with bridgeplate for exactly what you describe - I need an aggressive but articulate, stratty sound (signal path is Grosh w/ Real '54s - Marshall Jackhammer - Boss Mega Distortion - Maxon Compressor - Marhall TSL 601 clean channel) for my heavier stuff and although my first choice for these is a Suhr Classic with V60LP (tone rolled back to around 5), the Suhr doesn't do the in-between sounds quite as well as the Fralins - the baseplate on the bridge position made a noticeable difference in this regard on the Real '54s, as well as beefing up the leads (I also roll the tone back on the Grosh to around 5 - 6 for the heavy 'ripping' stuff).

Seymore Duncan Antiquity II (surfers) are also an excellent choice - I haven't put a baseplate on the bridge yet but it still sounds excellent and the bridge/middle position is great.

9. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

+1 on the Fralins.

Lindy rewound the bridge pickup on my '91 CS Strat "just a little hot" and it worked miracles. No harsh high end but not dull at all. More output, better grind and sustain. Very stratly.

I couldn't be happier.

stratzrus