Strat bridge setup/Bendability?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by stratus, Oct 1, 2008.

1. stratus

stratus Supporting Member

Hey everyone. I have a couple of 56' Relic Strats and a 62 AVRI HR. What would be the optimum way to set up each saddle to lessen the drag with bending? I seem to be digging in to the frets in the higher register and it's driving me nuts! Any answers would be a great help. Anyone? Thanks guy's.:dunno

2. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

I'm confused too. Aren't there two major saddle adjustments, height and distance from the bridge anchor? And doesn't the intonation dictate the distance, and the action in combination with your spring tension dictate the height?

3. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

I'm not sure how a bridge adjustment could even influence bending at all? Am I missing something? I suppose that if you make it really high, your fingers will slip under the next string up letting it ride on your fingernails?

If you float it (my preferred setup btw), height is still adjusted with the saddle screws. You still have to set it where you want it.

4. stratus

I'm basically talking abou the angle of the saddles in relation to the neck. Left/Right screw adjustments? Just thinking if it made a difference in stress on the string. MMMMmmmmm.:dunno

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

the "secret", if there is one, is to set up the guitar so that the saddles are low, i.e., close to the plate, whatever actual string height you prefer. this might require adding or removing a shim from the neck pocket to get the neck angle, and thus the string height off the frets, where you want it.

low saddles will also make for a more stable, slinkier-feeling tremolo.

you'll likely need to then get shorter saddle screws so they don't stick out and dig into your palm.

6. stratus

Thanks Walter. But there is no shim on my 56 Relic strat! Since I don't use the tremelo, I have the bridgeplate tight to the body as I tightened the springs. It's definetley a tension thing and I see your point with lowering the saddles. What next. Thanks.