Strat Bridges: 6 Screw vs. 2 Point

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jamison162, Feb 17, 2008.

1. jamison162

jamison162 Member

I know this has been covered to death....but stricty speaking tone here, isn't the 6 screw bridge a more solid bridge in that it couples the strings to the body better allowing the bridge to be more "tonally" anchored to the body?

2. Darby Crash

Darby Crash Member

I don't know the answer to that (but I would think it's "yes"), but I think two-point bridges look cheap. Sometimes it's better to look good than to sound good if necessary!

3. rrhea

rrhea Member

I definitely feel that I can hear a difference between the two. You generally get less range of movement from the 6 point trems, but they do sound great and can be setup to work very smoothly... depending on the guitar and trem quality, of course.

I only have one Strat out of four that is two point and I love that guitar but I'll likely never get another 2 point Strat again. I just love the feel and sound of a vintage style tremolo.

RR

4. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

I've had both, and both of the Strats I have today are the two post, and the tones of yesterday are no problem. " more tonally anchored to the body"? ......Whatever, believe it if you want to, as long as it makes you want to play, but honestly, no one in the audience, or on a recording, will hear the difference, even if you believe you do. For those that love the feel, I can understand that. ;^)
    Best Regards!

5. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

In a perfect world the 6 screw would have more contact area but I don't think it does unless the screws are down against the bridge plate. If they are making good contact then the 6 screw bridge probably has chance of sounding better but the alloy and saddles would have to be the same to compare.

6. jamison162

jamison162 Member

I don't have a strong opinion on this...I was just asking what you guys think and your experiences.

7. jamison162

jamison162 Member

8. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

The notion that a 6 screw bridge sounds better is folklore. I have a couple Grosh guitars with the 2 screw 1088 bridge and they sound fabulous. Nobody would ever know the diff and they stay in tune so much better. The bigger screws in the 2 screw bridges also produce much more bridge to body contact.

9. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I'm with Darby Crash, they look cheap. Besides that, they feel too loose and rubbery, at least the Wilkinson and American Fender trems. Strings have less stout response to me because the bridge is more sensitive, even with the stiffer chrome springs.

10. jamison162

jamison162 Member

I can agree with too loose and rubbery somewhat. Of course my Grosh 1088 only has 3 springs. Going to 4 or 5 and tighting the bridge down to the body should help. I still really like that bridge and tuning stability is REALLY, really great.

I keep debating whether to spec my next strat with the 6 screw or not. Just about all the Fender CS stuff, Signature models, Dpergo, a lot of Suhrs, etc., etc. etc., have them.

But my G&L had a 2 pt. that didn't touch the bosy at all and I think it sounded fabulous.

11. jzucker

Rather than loose and rubbery, I would say expressive. Going from my SRV trem (6 screw) to the 1088 (2 screw) makes a world of difference. If you check out my youtube videos, you'll see that the 2 screw sounds pretty much the same as the 6 and has a better feel.

12. Kalalau Hiker

Kalalau Hiker Supporting Member

The Outskirts of Infinity ...aka Philly burbs.
    +1111111111111

I think MAYBE if you are playin VERY low vol, alone, or REAL small blues club - you ALONE might hear the difference.
    but Jeff Beck uses a 2 screw - and .. he is one of the 2 or 3 rock guys along w Santana, E Johnson noted for pure tone.

I'd say if you are doing maybe up to small surf style whammys .. go for the old school, but for more expressive playing - use to 2 screw.

listen to Jack's clips and you'll hear some pretty great tone.

at high volumes - I don't think there is any real difference.
    the 2 screw provides SO much more subtlety - look how Beck does Nadia just with the trem arm in some of those youtubes... I can't do that level of subtlety w my 64 strat's 6 screw - but I can w the Beck strat.

not saying I play Nadia like Jeff - just that TYPE of subtlety ....minus about 1000K in talent:jo

13. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I find the six screw to be able to do extreme stuff. Once I seen that VH could do it and keep it in tune, I had to figure it out. Plus the feel is more exact to me. and for some reason I can keep a six screw in tune way better than the sloppier feeling two post. Plus it just looks cooler ;)

Another thing, we can't compare sound wise until we've had both styles on the same guitar. Every guitar will sound different. There's been a few people who went to the trouble of installing a six screw where a two post had been. They'd be the ones to ask.

but there's also the block like Joe F said. The block would probably make the most difference.

I only had a Floyd put on in place of a six screw, and it made the guitar brighter and thinner. It's two post and also gave it that real sensitive, rubbery feel.

14. jamison162

jamison162 Member

More metallic would not be a positive improvement for me.

15. jamison162

jamison162 Member

I was just saying that "metallic" isn't something I look for in my strat tone in general whether it be a trem block mod or anything other mod. I know CRS blocks have been said to be brighter and have more sustain. Don't think I've ever heard them described as more metallic, so that's good to know.

I didn't start this thread with any goal in mind or "looking" for any particular advice. Just a discussion with everyone's input...good for future reference.

16. jzucker

That's a whole other story. I thought the original poster was talking about strat bridges, comparing a vintage to say a 1088...

17. jamison162

jamison162 Member

True. That's the only two bridges I mentioned. I think he was adding that just for comparison.

18. strattitude

strattitude Member

Scott Henderson uses a 6 screw, and he abuses the trem more than Jeff Beck although in the same vein style wise. He says it sounds better....

19. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Right on:AOK

20. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Where does he say this...any article, interview, writeup. Should be an interesting read.