• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Strat Bushing Help Please

jbear

I am installing Gotoh vintage style tuners on a HWY Strat neck with stock Fender Pings. The Gotoh bushings...too small for the peg holes. I tried a set of conversion bushings...too big. I have no issues reaming, but...ID is too small for the Gotoh posts.
So...other than shimming the Gotoh bushings, is there a conversion bushing with a 10.8mm OD and a 7mm ID? I am looking but don't see anything so far.
Thanks all!

jbear

That is the issue...1/4 ID...these Gotohs have a post diameter bigger than that. I went ahead and shimmed the included bushings. Came out fine. It's just aggravating that it's such a PITA to find a part that must be a common need.

Last edited:

galibier_un

Silver Supporting Member
So the Gotoh conversion bushings are for 10mm holes.

Are you sure you have 7mm posts (.276")? 10.8mm tuner holes?

I suggest you re-measure your tuner shafts and the tuner holes, and I'll bet they're 1/4" and 10.5mm.

Do you have a dial indicator or are you eyeballing this with a ruler?

I have a neck which is waiting on some work and I popped off one vintage Gotoh tuner. The shaft measures .248". I can't believe Gotoh made tuners with two different shaft diameters so close to each other, but weirder things have happened.

Both Stewmac and Antique Electronics have 10.5mm bushings for 1/4" (6.35nm) string posts.

https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-h..._MrhYqnn4Tq8g317C9C7TsGmGEr0eRqxoCyv0QAvD_BwE

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/tuner-bushings-new-fender-nickel

... Thom

Last edited:
...actual gotoh conversion bushings; allparts has 'em...
Those are most likely 10.3 OD, if nothing has changed since I bought them, and probably too loose for that neck.

I'll bet they're 1/4" and 10.5mm.
Could be. Gotoh make 1/4" and 6mm posts, not really compatible with each other. The traditional posts are 1/4", whereas the H.A.P. and Magnum Lock etc. are 6mm. 7mm I don't know, but I haven't kept up.

...HWY Strat neck.. ...a 10.8mm OD...
Strat neck and 10.8mm - it's a very specific number, I know this number well - it really is 10.8mm on many Fender necks - I don't know which ones.

The only bushes I could find with 10.8mm OD came from France and had a 6mm ID, which didn't fit 1/4" shaft. I've never found the correct bush for 10.8mm OD / 1/4" shaft - not to say it doesn't exist - if anyone has found it, I'd love to know.

jbear

.272 inches on my micrometer...for the post....just over 1/4:mad:.

Last edited:

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
That is the issue...1/4 ID...these Gotohs have a post diameter bigger than that.
so weird, IME the bigger adapter bushings fit real gotohs just fine

are these any kind of locking tuners, and are you sure they're actual gotohs? i need to go measure some for a clearer picture of the actual OD. i have run into annoying obstacles where somebody wanted to swap the stock vintage gotohs on their LP for either the tonepros version or the kluson-branded version, i forget (pointless because the gotohs were better than either) and it was an absolute roadblock, the replacement tuners were too fat for the stock gotoh bushings while the replacement bushings were too small for the headstock :mad:

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
Not locking...and actual Japan stamped Gotohs.
then color me nonplussed...:huh

you could just say to hell with it and put on a set of these from the american performer series, fender vintage keys made specifically to pop into american standard tuner holes

jbear

That is the issue...1/4 ID...these Gotohs have a post diameter bigger than that. I went ahead and shimmed the included bushings. Came out fine. It's just aggravating that it's such a PITA to find a part that must be a common need.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom