Strat buzz/rattle

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by LoganKade, Feb 26, 2012.

1. LoganKade

LoganKade Member

my strat tends to make a buzzy string sound, and it's fairly old (1977) and never been refretted. Would these two things possibly have a correlation with each other?
    also, while on the topic of frets, are older frets more difficult to play? I popped into guitar center the other day and noticed that of the strats I played, they were a lot more smooth and loose as far as bends and just movability around the neck.

thanks for the imput!
    Logan

2. partsocaster

partsocaster Member

you should be able to see wear marks in your frets, especially the G, B and high E strings on the first few frets, deeper the wear, the more likely to buzz out

newer strats potentially could have a different neck radius than what you are playing now, going from a 9.5 to 12 inch radius would be very noticable

3. cob666

cob666 Member

I also notice that if frets have visible wear on them the guitar is usually a bit tougher to play, especially string bends. I had an old Les Paul when I was much younger and the frets were so worn that it was actually tough to fret a couple of strings in certain locations and caused buzzing due to the string being lower to the fretboard in those locations.

Nicely crowned and polished frets do play very smoothly.