• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Strat color question...

fontenel

Did Fender ever sell late 70's/early 80's cream or oly white Strats with black plastic (knobs, pup covers) like the one below? (The pic is for illustrative purposes only, it's not the specific Strat I'm curious about).

guitarz1972

I don't know for sure, but willing to bet they did. That's a rather common combo look, so either it was stock in one case or another or else it's a very popular after-market thing to do.

btw, I'm loving the black string trees. Despite all I just said, I don't think I've ever seen that before.

fontenel

Yeah, it's definitely a popular look, I'm just curious if they ever came stock like that. My buddy has a late 70s (he thinks) Strat he's looking to sell with that color combo and he swears it's 100% original... I'm trying to find out for sure!

John C

Gold Supporting Member
They weren't olympic white, they were arctic white Strats with the white pickguard/black knobs and pickup covers. They were part of Fender's 1981 "International Colors" (or maybe they went British by spelling it "Colours"); all of them had the white pickguard/black other parts look. Although they were made in 1981 they all have the "S9XXXXX" serial numbers; it seems like Fender used the "S9XXXXX" numbers from 1979 through 1981.

Here's a link to the info listing on Strat Central:

http://www.strat-central.com/cbs80s.htm

I remember a poster that had all of them; I'm trying to find a photo of that and will add it if I can turn it up.

fontenel

Ah ha! That makes total sense and is definitely in line with the model, serial and my bud's thoughts about the guitar. I know the pickup switch on his is white, which is what made me question it in the first place, but maybe just that is different, and all the black is original.

Thanks a bunch!

vibrasonic

In 75 and early 76 there were strats with combination WBW or BWB parts. You could order white parts on a special order afterwards.

Trending Topics