Strat Experts Chime In...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by sled, Feb 23, 2008.

1. sled

sled Member

I'm looking at Strats but there's a ton of models.

Apart from vintage models. At a guitar show today I saw two American made Strats that caught my eye. One was $2300 and the other was $900. Other than the obvious difference in tuners, where's the additional
    $1400. The $2300 is not a Custom Shop Strat. Also, the truss Rod was not visible at the nut on $2300 Strat. Is the cost difference in Body Wood.

FYI, I'm looking for a Strat for my Studio and want a quality Strat with "THE" Strat tone. I also want a Maple Fret board. But I'm not looking to break the bank.

Any advice is appreciated.

2. pjrhd28

pjrhd28 Silver Supporting Member

My Eric Johnson Strat is a better guitar for the buck than either of my Suhrs.

Magic on the neck pup and plenty of snap in the bridge sngle coil. Middle pup is almost useless by itself (its SO bright), but it gives a GREAT cutting edge to the 2 and 4 positions.

3. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

I've played $300 Strats that sounded better than some $3000+ Strats. You generally have to play dozens, in all price ranges, to find the gems.

Having said that, the best bang for the buck Strat I've played is the Jimmie Vaughan model...but I prefer a rosewood fingerboard and I ended up with the Vintage Hot Rod '62 model.

4. Swain

Swain Member

Try and find an early 80's US 57 Vintage Re-Issue. That's the ticket.

5. sled

sled Member

Thanks guys...

Would this be after the CBS sale and with serial numbers starting with E and the next number for the year e.g. E4xxxx for 1984?

How about 200X 57 Reissue versions?

6. I.IV.V

I.IV.V Member

I have the JV model as well. Totally agree. I have played a bunch of more expensive ones and none felt that much nicer or sounded that much better to my ears. I play it with 12s and its a pretty good piece for the $$ IMO. It's maple as well.

7. Kenny D

Kenny D Member

I own two Fender Deluxe Strats. They retail for about a grand. I love them. Both played well off the shelf and required no setup. For me, that's unheard of.

The stock pups are nice. The S1 switch does some nice things for varying the tone on the guitar. While I don't use it that much, it comes in handy once in a while.

Just my $0.02 worth.

8. karmadave

karmadave Member

I've heard good things about the new American Strats, but never played one. For a Maple-board Strat, the Jimmie Vaughan is tough to beat. Used to own one, in Sunburst, and boy am a I sorry that I sold it...

-KD

9. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

+1. Love mine.

10. alivegy

alivegy Member

Don't forget to play a few G&l's if you want the vintage strat sound and feel. I was looking a purchasing a new american standard strat 6 months ago, went with a G&l instead. Great Great guitars.

11. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

i'm also looking cos i NEED one for a band i am in...i played about 10 fenders today and they were all crap no lie!! thats ranging up to $2,000 strats and teles,terrible

12. jpage

jpage Member

13. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

I am a Fender fan and was beginning to get the idea here that Fenders were nothing compared to Suhrs. Interesting to hear your take on it.

Happy with my American Deluxe Strat with the SNC pickups and S1 switch. And I love the locking tuners, too. The plastic finish is easy to care for. The guitar has a nice vibe to it. I was fortunate in being able to play several and pick the one that sounded best. The one I got really stood out. Would not call myself a Strat expert but rather a Strat enthusiast.

14. sled

sled Member

thanks for all the input... this has helped a lot

15. JDJ

JDJ Member

Funny you should mention WW. I have a WW10 Tele and the neck is an inch thick in the middle. Now I can't play anything smaller.

I've seen mention of these Strats with no necks -- which seems to be a Strat with a Nocaster neck profile. Is that right? Who sells them?

16. sled

sled Member

what was crap about them?

thanks for the tip... I'll give them a try.