1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Strat Fanatics Tune In

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ryanverbena, Jan 2, 2008.

1. ryanverbena

ryanverbena Member

Which signature strat would be a better choice, The Mayer or the Johnson? I know it comes down to personal taste but would still like to hear your opinions.

2. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

Play several, whichever one "speaks" to you is the best one. For me, it's an EJ.

3. knob

knob Member

i guess it depends on what features your going for.. for me, i love the pups in the mayer strat, and im more of a rosewood kind of guy. so thats what id go for.

4. gregory49

gregory49 Member

the mayer is awesome but i found the cleans were to glassy.. it didn't settle into a very raunchy tone like i want.... it'd be a great guitar with different pickups..

personally I like the EJ better.

5. Izy

Izy Member

If you are a strat fanatic then the answer is clear!

You would have to get both! No doubt about it! :RoCkIn

Given that funds are always limited - i would go with the EJ.

I tried both and prefer the EJ. Its a personal choice.

You got to play both and decide which is best for you.

Both are great guitars.

6. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

To me, EJ all the way...

7. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

The SRV is the best of the bunch, particularly if you swap out the muddy pickups.

8. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

+ 1 on the Mayer. I thought the pickups sounded great. I spent about an hour with both, and liked the Mayer. That said you can't go wrong. Do you prefer rosewood or maple? Maybe a body color choice?
    Good luck.

9. alvagoldbook

alvagoldbook Member

I actually never liked any of the sig strats too much, but I did like the Bonnie Rait strat. They came in a pretty blue color. I'm a sucker for blue guitars.

10. trivial

trivial Member

I went with the EJ.

11. peachead1071

peachead1071 Member

What you have to remember when shopping for any Fender is that they are more than the sum of their parts. In a room full of 10 mayers and 10 EJ's, I might pick the EJ 90% of the time, but there may be one mayer in there I can't live without.

This was hard for me to adjust to.

when I was a Gibson guy, I saw a clear line between the USA stuff and the CS stuff and the vintage stuff. Though I own a bit of all three, the USA guitars don't hold a candle to my CS stuff. And old wood on a Gibson, especially one with p-90s makes more difference than on anything else.

As a primarily Fender player now, I own vintage Fenders, Reissue Fenders, American series Fenders, Highway 1's, Custom Shop Fenders,a Mexican Robert Cray, and an E-series Japanese Strat and bought them all simply because they spoke to me. And out of 11 great Fender instruments from 1966-2006, the best sounding one is a highway 1 texas tele. Go figure.

12. gururyan

gururyan Member

I've tried both multiple times, neither one is for me.

...I do like the Beck though.

13. j_m_s

j_m_s Member

I want both. but if i could only choose one. sign me up for JM stratty prettaye prettaye pleaseeee.

14. PFCG

PFCG Member

i think the ej is much better, ive played a few of both and the wood quality is supremely better in the ej model. its a better built guitar, possible one of fenders finest production guitars of all time.

15. jzucker

i don't agree. The SRV, EJ and JM are all relatively close in quality. Fender has priced them accordingly which is the biggest evidence. Remember you're paying quite a bit for the endorsement and the advertising campaign. Folks forget that with companies like Fender, Gibson and Taylor, a large percentage of the advertising costs are passed onto the consumer. This is one reason I prefer the Suhr guitars. You can get a Suhr pro for about the same money and they blow away the fenders IMO. I have an SRV that I love but after upgrading the trem, the pickups, the pickguard and getting a refret I'm into the guitar for an additional $500. Not really a savings over a custom suhr or even a suhr pro if you ask me...

16. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Make sure you try out the new '62 Hot Rod Strat. I've been playing mainly Strats for 45 years and I'm VERY impressed with my new '62HR. IMO, it's what the SRV Strat should have been.

17. jzucker

except they got the radius wrong. It needs 12" radius and 6105 frets to meet the SRV spec. Not sure why fender can't offer a 12" radius standard on something other than the player's strat and the SRV and EJ...

That's one of the main reasons folks love the feel of the aftermarket strats and strat necks...

18. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

• Get an EJ.
    • Put an SRV neck on it. Scrape plastic goop finish off the back of the SRV neck and replace it with a few coats of tung oil.
    • Refret the SRV neck with 6100 wire and replace its tuners with Sperzels
    • Replace the bridge pickup with a cream-color DiMarzio ToneZone Strat
    That's what I did. Awesome results

jb

19. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

Exactly. :BEER

20. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I agree, if I was in the market for a strat again, I'd try a bunch of these and find a good one. Way better than an SRV.