Strat fingerboard woods

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Dave Wakely, May 27, 2008.

1. Dave Wakely

Dave Wakely Member

Looking at a replacement neck for an old Highway 1, and looking at the Warmoth site. The guitar has had a full make-over already (Callaham trem, Bare Knuckle pick-ups), and I *still* hate the neck - very clubby and too fat for me. Looking at optios, do people here have experience of the following fingerboard woods (neck will be maple) and tonal differences:

canary
    kingwood
    pau ferro

I have two rosewood neck Strats, so I want to keep it tonally different. Bright but not shrill is the general ballpark, and it'll mostly be played clean.

Thoughts and wisdom welcome.

2. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

Go with whateve you think looks and feels best. The effect on tone will be minor.

3. scottish

scottish Member

pau ferro basically feels like rosewood and has the tonal characteristics of maple if i remember correctly. so if you like the feel of rosewood boards then i would go for that. maple/maple on a strat is where its at as far as im concerned

4. scottish

scottish Member

+1 to this also

5. shoe

shoe Member

What wood is the body made from? Neck and fingerboard wood combinations can change things quite a bit in my experience. What kind of sound are you going for? What kind of music do you play?

6. Dave Wakely

Dave Wakely Member

Body is alder. The pick-ups are BKs Apaches - vintage-style low ouput. I play modern instrumental stuff (jazz, tango and flamenco influences) mostly, and I'm aiming for 'chimey' I guess is the best word I come up with. Bright but neither shrill nor thin.

7. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

Look at some of the other manufacturers, like Guitar Mill, Musikraft, and USA Custom Guitars. Same quality as Warmoth (or better), and different options that may or may not appeal to you. Maybe not so many cool wood choices, but you can get more vintage-style radius and stuff. Warmoth necks generally feel too flat to me.

8. Zuper

Zuper Supporting Member

If you're looking for a bright/snappy clean tone, go for one-piece maple or maple/pau ferro.

9. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

Yeah to me the difference comes into play when you're talking very different sonic woods. A general Rosewood vs. Maple board will be different, but when it comes to Pau Ferro, etc. it becomes less sonically noticeable.