• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

Strat for 600$ budget

600$ strat choice

• Fender player

Votes: 30 55.6%
  • Squier CV with some upgrades

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • others

Votes: 16 29.6%

• Total voters

niassist

Garage Rock Star
Silver Supporting Member
Personally, I vote for a partscaster without a doubt. For $600 you can get an amazing guitar.

seward

Silver Supporting Member

Mt.Abraxas

They come at around $679 but I think the Yamaha Pacifica 612 would be a great choice. It has Duncan pickups in it if that's what you like. I love them myself.
The G&L legacy Tribute also hits right at $599.

RayBarbeeMusic

Gold Supporting Member
MIM Player series is the way to go in that budget range. Honestly, the way to go for a lot more than that. I've found them to be higher quality than the USA stuff.

ned7flat5

MIM Blacktop series - I picked up a sonic blue for AUD $400. What surprised me was the neck didn’t look or feel like the typical “made to a price point” MIM Strats. In fact, I didn’t immediately recognise what it was (notwithstanding I’d attended its launch at a Fender Roadshow ( (feat. the abundant talents of one Gregory Kochory) a couple years earlier!) and thought it was a modded ‘62 Reissue!

While it comes with factory humbuckers and “amp knobs”, those things can be easily changed out while, on the other hand, the level of “playability” this Strat model brings to the table simply can’t be changed in.

Ozzie31220

I have a MIM Player's Series HSS Strat that I don't think I'll ever replace. It's a phenomenal guitar in all ways. I got it dirt cheap in a trade for a Firefly 338, but typically you can get these used in like-new condition for $600 or less. I think just recently somebody had blue ones on sale for $650 new. Over the coming weeks it wouldn't surprise me if the standard-top models get put on sale for around $600.

I love the pickups. I find strat bridge pickups to be more or less useless, so the humbucker here is a major improvement for me, but it splits in the "2" position so you still get that out of phase quack. Middle and neck pickups are bright, but still full sounding.

My only criticism is that the MIM Fenders seem to commonly develop fret sprout. It was significant on the one I acquired, which I think is why the person that I traded with was so eager to get rid of it. Once I took care of that sprout, the guitar has been perfect.

MIMs can be superb indeed. You’ll definitely need to try before you buy. And I’ll echo your comment on fret sprout, but it’s easily fixed.

madhermit

Any idea between Fender player vs Squier CV with some upgrade or other choices???
If it doesn’t have to be a Fender/Squier, I would hands-down go for a Yamaha Pacifica. Killer guitars with great parts and really good necks. The 600 series is the one to get if you can stretch to $680 USD.

JDthaddeus

There are no answers, only better questions
Having just tried it both at my local San Ash, the Player is my choice because of the neck.

FuzzMuff

There are a ton of great used strats out there in your price range. I would personally not buy new, you'll get far more bang for your buck used.

bigtone23

#3 Used Fender Player-it's the benchmark of <$1K Strats
#2 Used Schecter Nick Johnston. A hot rodded Player, sort of MIM Charvel-y.
#1 New Sire S7 Larry Carlton. Played one the other day. It's really killer. It's kind of a more 'traditional' feeling Nick Johnston. Rolled edges on roasted maple neck, great sounding pickups, cool neck profile (sort of a chunky C like the Fender American Pros), locking tuners, etc... These sit around $600 new. Outstanding value.

KiddBilly

If not a Player Series Strat, get a used Schecter Nick Johnston Signature model. I tried one the other day, and I'd buy one of those over most MIM Fenders I've tried any day.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom