Strat + fuzz + 2061 - is there a pedal that...?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Rasomaso, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Rasomaso

Rasomaso Member

Hi, this is my main setup that I play with - Ceriatone 20W and S-S-S strat for playing with the band + some fuzz face for messing around alone.

I'd like to know if there is a pedal that would change my sound a bit. What I'm looking for is basically 2 things in 1.

1) when I play with fuzz and 2061, I feel like the sounds is almost perfect (at least in what I'm looking for with that lol) but it's a bit dry and agressive if you know what I mean, I'd like to have some kind of very slight OD that wouldn't significantly change the tone if I put it after the fuzz, but would only smooth it out a bit, make it a bit mellower... When I put my TS808 after it, it's way too much gain and too smooth. Is there anything that can only add a bit smoothness on top of it and possibly make the sound a bit fatter for when I roll down the volume on guitar, but still retain most of that marshall+fuzz dirty sound?

2) this is not as important and actually could be a different pedal altogether... this is for my band playing. I use the 20W with a TS808 as a OD/volume boost for solos, but I think that the tubescreamer adds too much of it's own character that I don't like that much when it mixes with the Marshall sound (I like it with Fender amps though!), so perhaps something that would just retain amp's original sound, add volume and make the sound a bit fatter (not a clean boost though, I have one and it just gets way too aggresive, something a bit smoother?)

any suggestions welcome :D

2. Steven

Steven Member

The best pedal I´ve ever had for taming a fuzz is the BJFE Honeybee. I used a Sunface into the Honeybee for a few years with my Badcat tremcat amp and really liked that set up. The Catalinbread DLS is also good but not quite as good as the Honeybee IMO.

3. dshobe

dshobe Rocky Mountain Way Silver Supporting Member

Look for an OD with more than a tone knob. I love the Wampler Black 65 for it's 3 knob tonestack. Makes for a very versatile OD pedal. It definitely smooths out my Fuzz Factory and Big Muff.

4. DanHorse

DanHorse Member

Well, my JH-F1 just loves my Robin Trower Overdrive clone pedal after it with the volume rolled down, just the right balance of frequencies. So maybe try an OCD or the fulltone RT OD if you can. The RT OD is flatter than a TS, smooth on the top end but nicely dynamic too, works well.

5. schwa

schwa Member

I play a Strat into my 2061x. A Timmy will do what you seek.

6. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

I play a tele into a 2061x. A Bearfoot DRD and an Analogman AstroTone do what you describe for me.

7. Rasomaso

Rasomaso Member

awesome guys, thanks for suggestions! I will check those out soon and carefully (don't wanna start mass-buying pedals all over again lol)