Strat got wet or damp...troubleshooting a short

ThePenwellCrash

Gold Supporting Member
My strat and Jazz bass were in their cases in the closet in my home in the Philippines for four months while I was in the United States. During that time, my house flooded. Some friends helped clean up my muddy house afterwards, but I am just now pulling things out seeing how well they faired. My cases don't feel like they got wet, and the guitar and bass are not warped, but I suspect that the general dampness and humidity may have caused a problem. I don't really have anyone that I can easily take these instruments to for repairs, so I'm trying to trouble shoot this myself.

Symptoms: When I plug in, I'm only hearing about half the volume I should be and there is a loud crackle when the cord is wiggled at the guitar's input. The same thing occurs with my bass

Diagnosis: First, I suspected the cable, so I used a different cable which was known to be reliable. Cables are fine. Second, I suspected the amp, since that may have also gotten damp, so I tested it on a different amp, as well as plugged into an interface -> computer, and the crackle is still there. Amp seems to be fine. So this seems be to an issue with my instruments and just happens to have happened with my guitar and bass at the same time.

I removed the pickguard and the input jack on my strat and started wiggling wires while the guitar was plugged in. The only wire that made a noise was the main lead connected to the input jack. I re-soldered this wire, but I still hear the crackle. Did my lead go bad? What else should I be testing?

If I need supplies (wire, pots, etc), I can get them here, they just take awhile. I have a soldering iron, which I've just recently been learning how to use because I want to be able to maintenance my own gear.

What else should I be doing to troubleshoot this problem? Thanks for the help!!!

ThePenwellCrash

Gold Supporting Member
Have you cleaned the jack and controls and switches? That'd be the first thing to try.
I will try that. There are a lot of electronic supplies around here, but probably not much specific to instruments. Can I use basic air pressure cans that are used for computer electronics? Or do I need something special?

Thanks

Ronsonic

The standard is Deoxit by Caig. Last I looked even radio shack had it. Use the red, just a squirt in the jack pots and switch and exercise. Repeat if needed.

fatcat87

Have you cleaned the jack and controls and switches? That'd be the first thing to try.
2nd that. The jack could have been badly oxidised. Another reason could be cold solder joints which is unlikely in your case since it was working well before the incident.

Trending Topics