Strat Guys...am I Crazy?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by slipperyfingers, Mar 21, 2008.

1. slipperyfingers

slipperyfingers Member

I decided to buy a used EJ strat and piece most of it out on eBay. I am planning on keeping only the body and case. At the prices people are getting for the parts, I'll end up paying ~$200.00 for a very cool case, and a nice light alder body already finished. I'm going to buy a neck from USA CG, built the way I want (I have never been able to bond with a maple fretboard), and I think I'm going the Callaham hardware route. I might end up just selling the neck and bridge/tremelo parts...and just replace them. Has anybody else here done the same?

-SF

2. Don L

Don L Member

I bought a parts strat couple years ago with an EJ body and the rest from all other parts/sources including Callaham and Lollar Specials. It was a great strat.

3. Drunkagain

Drunkagain Member

Why bother? Why not just build yourself a Warmoth or USAC adn be done with it? The few bucks I saved wouldn't be worth the hassle of it all to me. Breaking down the guitar, listing everything, dealing with the inquiries, packing and shipping adn hoping there are no problems. Ugh!

4. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

Sounds like you've got a pretty good plan. Sure to some it may sound like a bit of work but 'the journey is its own reward', right?

5. slipperyfingers

slipperyfingers Member

Well that is encouraging. One thing I know I need to do is shield the pickguard. My fingers make all kinds of static noise.

-SF

6. slipperyfingers

slipperyfingers Member

I know I hate to hassle with eBay...that's the downside, the thing is though a finished two tone burst is about $400.00 plus shipping from USACG, and the case is another $125.00, so the savings could be substantial. The other thing is that the body I have is very light weight and thin nitro, which is probably an upcharge at one of the parts places.

-SF

7. playon

playon Supporting Member

What about that one seller on ebay, I think it's "stratosphere" -- their motto should be something like "taking apart Fenders since 2005"

8. sw686blue

sw686blue Member

That's a great plan.