Strat HSS pickup question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by joemilitello, Dec 22, 2009.

1. joemilitello

joemilitello Member

I have a beautiful 2008 American Deluxe Stratocaster. I love teh way it feels and plays...

But I wonder if I wouldn't love it more if I upgraded the pickups, or at least the humbucker... I welcome any and all opinions on this issue. Thanks.

2. Full Monty

Full Monty Member

What kind of sound would you want that you can't already get on the guitar?

3. joemilitello

joemilitello Member

I am not sure, Monty... I do like to play with gain & some overdrive. (I run it through a mesa boogie lonestar). The reason I am even thinking about it is that I have an epiphone les paul standard, and I upgraded to burstbucker pickups and it just brough the guitar to life.

I don't tinker a lot with gear, but that upgrade got me wondering if I could get an even fuller and fatter sound out of that humbucker... I recognize that the american deluxe hss is a nicer guitar out of the box than the epi les paul. (Those locking tuners on the strat are just awesome.)

Just looking for advice from more experienced folks...

4. Full Monty

Full Monty Member

I've got a Montego Black Deluxe HSS and yes, the locking machine-heads are great. I'm thinking about whipping a Seymour Duncan Jeff Beck off another guitar and putting it in there. Alternatively I might buy another scratchplate and load it with three single coils and just swap it over but I'm not certain. I like the JBs anyway, I have four of them mounted on guitars here.

5. joemilitello

joemilitello Member

Thanks for the tip. It feels and plays so nice, I can't help but wonder if it can get even better.

Maybe I just need to get 34 guitars!!!

I have that strat, the epi les paul with burstbuckers, a 60th anniversary MIM tele with upgraded tuners, nocasters and a 4-way switch... and a Gibson ES 336 that was my 40th birthday present to myself.... 30 more to go!

6. Full Monty

Full Monty Member

A few years back I had a '62 reissue that had been seriously messed about with (by a previous owner) so after a bit of consultation I had it loaded with EMGs (an '85 in the bridge and SA's in the neck and middle). It worked really well like that so if you wanted to change all the pickups that would be your best option imho.

I may have 34 guitars now but I reckon I've owned nearly twice that over the years. I like to think I know what I'm talking about when it comes to guitars .... I like to think that but there are those who say I don't!:D