Strat left in taxi

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by oldtelefart, Mar 8, 2015.

1. oldtelefart

oldtelefart Member

I started a taxi driver training course this morning. (Gigs aren't so plentiful these days!)
    Noticed a Fender case in the corner of the taxi office, was told it was left behind in the trunk of a taxi two weeks ago.
    Open the case, it's a nice black Strat with 2 humbuckers. Case has lots of random airline tags.

Nobody has contacted the taxi co. in two weeks.
    Somebody has too many guitars to notice they've lost one?

2. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

The closest thing that happened to me is that I forgot I had brought my Strat with me to see my girlfriend at the time. Had no car so I had taken a Greyhound and it was with the other luggage.

Got to her house and something felt wrong. When I noticed what it was gone, I immediately contacted them. Basically had to jump through hoops for 24h but finally located it and managed to get it back. There were so many opportunities for dishonest people to steal it. I'm still amazed that I got it back!

3. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

That is pretty strange that no one has called about the Strat ?!? Maybe they don't know where they lost it ? Perhaps it was stolen somewhere else and the thief abandoned it in the taxi?

I always wonder that more stuff doesn't get stolen in transit. I've flown a couple of times now with a guitar, and local airlines INSIST that guitars have to be checked in and picked up at a separate 'oversized baggage' counter. Checking in is difficult enough, with multiple repeated checks of your ticket, ID etc., but several times now, I have got to the other end, and while waiting for my normal luggage to come out the carousel, I've noticed about 200m away in the 'oversized baggage' area, staff getting guitars, surf boards etc. and just leaving it against a wall near their counter for people to just come and collect.

Once my wife met me at the airport here, and I asked her to go up and grab my guitar from the oversized baggage area before someone else could get it, as I had to wait for my normal luggage. She walked up to the guys there as they were once again offloading gear against the wall. She told one of the guys there "Oh, that's my husband's guitar" and he immediately handed it to her without checking or verification.

When she returned to me and told me the story, I was flabbergasted. ANYONE could have walked up to them and said "Oh, that's mine" and been handed the gear... !!

4. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

A friend of mine had a music lesson business at one point. Someone dropped off a guitar to sell on consignment. He disappeared and they've never been able to get in contact with him since. That's YEARS ago, now.

I have a customer guitar in my shop right now that I've been trying to get back to the customer for a long time. He doesn't owe me any money...it was a really oddball request, I tried to figure it out, but in the end, I decided that it was just a BAD idea, and I wasn't willing to finish butchering what someone else had started. And there it sits, forgotten and unwanted, though I ping him every couple of months to just come get the thing out of my shop.

Who knows what the story is?

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

was it sitting next to yo-yo ma's cello?

6. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

Here's the miracle guitar story. I was working out in Taiwan. It was supposed to be a 2 weeks trip. Yeah, right. It ended up being 2 or 3 months. Hey, no problem. I've worked out there several times, and had a very good time each and every time, so noooo problem. Anyhow, about a week or two into it, I decided I should buy a cheap guitar to play, and found some decent acoustic for about $60.

Fast forward to my trip out, they had some going away thing for me, and the bartender I was hanging out with at the time made me some of her Long Island iced teas...and she made some KILLER Long Islands....LOL.

So fast forward to the next morning, I wasn't firing on all cylinders, and when I woke up, I realized I had about an hour to pack up my room and catch a cab to the airport....and the airport was over an hour away. Ut oh.

Well, I got everything into random bags as quick as I could, took the quickest shower of my life, grabbed a cab, and told the guy at the front desk to explain to the cab driver that if he could get me to the airport in the next 1/2 hour, I'd give him all the cash I had left on me, which was about $400, or so.

It's not something I want to remember, but he DID get me there in a 1/2 hour. NOTHING was packed up right, but I didn't care...I was out of time, and I absolutely needed to be out of the country that day, one way or another, so I gave the guy at the ticket counter this random assortment of bags and junk....a laptop case, my regular luggage, the guitar wrapped in nothing but the ultra-crappy, thin vinyl case it came in, etc. I figured the guitar and laptop were a goners for sure.

They actually held the flight for me...about 10 or 15 minutes. They did stuff like this back then. I walked onto the plane, and EVERYONE was sitting, strapped in, and if looks could kill....

To this day I don't know how exactly it happened, but everything made it home one piece. Not a scratch on anything.

7. joe_jr

joe_jr Supporting Member

8. ajchance

ajchance Member

I bought a Kinscherff acoustic from a surplus auction. $4500 guitar. It was left unclaimed at a university. Lucky me :)

9. kiwicanuck

kiwicanuck Member

My brother left a Cort custom shop acoustic in a taxi and called them immediately, but never got it back. :(

10. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

I've seen this here in airports in Aus as well.

Amazing. Things must often be stolen.

11. JDC

JDC Member

It's not like the "old days" when you had to show a baggage receipt with a number matching the tag on the luggage in order to leave the terminal with checked luggage. Anyone, could pick something up and walk out. I'm actually surprised that it doesn't happen more than it does.

I never left a guitar in a public conveyance (although an airline "misplaced" one for a couple of days, once).

But I did, unintentionally, leave a guitar at a club, one time. Driving home, I realized I wasn't in possession of the guitar and I turned around and "hotfooted it" back to the club as fast as I could. The only person still there was a cleaning lady who, to my relief, let me in. Looking back on it, she was just taking my word for it that the guitar was mine because I'm sure she had no way of knowing it belonged to me.

12. mattball826

mattball826 Member

lost me at strat with humbuckers

does not compute lol

must have been an s body with hb's pretending to be a strat. probably had floyd rose bridge too.
    picture those two guys in back with arms folded screaming "no dive bombs in blues"

i bet the poor guy was shamed at the gig and decided to just leave it in the taxi

13. oldtelefart

oldtelefart Member

Mystery solved. I put out a message to several people I know, turns out the guitar was left behind after last November's Airlie Beach Music Festival.
    Got an email from Bernie Lynch from 90's Aussie hit group Eurogliders, he thought the airline had lost it, but it was left in the taxi at the airport.
    Happy Bernie is shortly to be reunited with his Strat.
    That's my good deed for the day.

14. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

Well done V ... Good detective work there! :aok

15. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

It's Bernie Lynch's? Cool...

16. spamassassain

spamassassain Member

17. Go Cat Go!!

Go Cat Go!! Member

Great news! There's some positive karma points heading your way TeleDude!

18. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Kudos to you. Great outcome.