Strat & Les Paul - must-have guitars?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by lightningsmith, Feb 13, 2008.

1. lightningsmith

lightningsmith Member

Anyone here holds the same belief that these 2 guitars are a must-have fixture in one's collection even if one doesn't necessarily like either or both models?

Cause virtually every serious player and guitar legend in existence has at least one of each guitar in his collection, even when he's more associated with the other or neither model.

And I'm not talking about tone here, just the mere mindset of "man, since Page, Hendrix, Clapton, Slash and all those guitar gods have 'em, I gotta get me both of 'em too." Cause you gotta admit, these 2 specific guitars are staples in guitardom: they grace every well-known record, album covers, magazines, music videos, and handled by all the big-name players - essentially all the things that you look at and listen to that aspire you to pick up a guitar.

2. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I don't feel the need to have a Les Paul. Something with humbuckers, a Strat and a Tele will cover almost all the bases, but there are better choices than an LP, IMHO.

3. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

I would say a humbucker based and single coil based is good. I'm adding a partsostrat to my Les Paul as soon as I can build it!

4. CGrisamore

CGrisamore Member

Ditto. I actually have both but while my LP was at the shop getting repaired, I bought a PRS McCarty and the LP has mostly sat in the case ever since. I gig with the Strat and PRS, swapping depending on the needs of the song. I probably play about 70% Strat and 30% PRS in the course of a typical gig.

5. lightningsmith

lightningsmith Member

Actually what I meant is that do you guys have this compulsion to have both Strats and Les Pauls in your collection simply due to their status and symbol in guitar music, not necessarily because of their tone and playability?

6. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

Nah, I went trough a pile of PRS' before landing and sticking to my Les Paul. I went to PRS because I wanted single coil/humbucker tones in one axe. Found out that they don't sound like either, really. If you want to have that definitive Les Paul humbucker tone, gotta get a Les Paul, same as the Strat.

7. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Gold Supporting Member

I got my Paul in the 80's after Slash broke loose, but you know, it wasn't the right guitar for me. Eventually it just hung on a wall for decades with me thinking "someday my kid's gonna want it" until the day came where I actually HAD a kid, and realized he wouldn't want his old man's leftovers. Instead that Paul is gone, replaced by a Tele that I love (that my kid's going to have to try to pry out of my cold dead hands someday).

Oh and I had a strat too, very nice but ultimately the Tele was the right one for me. So nah, I don't keep guitars just because of their iconic status. Either I can use them or I can't.

8. 8Painting

8Painting Member

More like Les Paul and a Tele.

9. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

For me, yes. its definitely a combo of both.

For variety of tones, I think that I always knew that I wanted to get the TONES similar to that of a tele, a strat, a humbucker guitar, and a P90 guitar.

And when it came down to actually choosing guitars that would fit that bill, I felt compelled to buy the originals. A Fender Tele, a Fender Strat, a Gibson Les Paul, and a Gibson Les Paul Jr.

I know myself, and I know that I wouldn't have been happy with guitars that nailed these tones, but weren't the "originals".

SIDE NOTE:

The ironic part about my guitar collection (lets call it my vintage-inspired US made modern facsimile collection), is that now that I'm singing lead in my new band, NONE of these guitars really DO it for me.

When I was JUST the guitar player in my old band, I found it fun to switch back and forth between each different type of guitar - tele for one song, strat for another, paul for the rockers... and since my attention was focused on just PLAYING the guitar, the transitions were easy.

But now, the paul is too heavy and cumbersome, the strat and tele don't have enough balls but are comfortable, and the Jr just feels off.

Hence, now I need a "do it all" axe, and I'm building a partsocaster super tele with humbuckers.

10. gillibi

gillibi Member

I usually only bring my Tele and Les Paul to gigs, gets the job done.

11. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

I'd encourage anyone looking for a guitar that's halfway between a Strat and an LP to check out the Gretsch lineup, with FilterTron pickups. They are bright and detailed, not very high output, but quiet since they're humbuckers and they have a bit of solidbody grunt behind them.

12. jay42

jay42 Member

Do you have any notions why? They sell a lot of guitars, but I agree that they don't sound enough like a LP or an SG. (I do have yet to try a Mira.)

13. Bluesbuff

Bluesbuff Member

I have felt the need to have a all types of guitars to complete the "collection" and cover lots of different tones. So I now have too many guitars that sit in the closet unplayed. The Gibsons, PRS and Carvin fill all my needs. I don't use the Strat often so I'm missing that "quack" tone but find I don't really miss it. Same with the Tele, I just don't care for the narrower fingerboard. I keep pledging to sell the Fenders since I rarely play them. I thought my son might have an affinity for them but he doesn't play them either. I say find guitars that speak to you and forget feeling like you have to have them all.

14. randuro

randuro Member

Yes. They are the icons of guitars. Everything else is just a copy or an attempt to improve on what already has been done. Tone and playability is a matter of opinion. JMO;)

15. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

Dunno? Scale length? Pickups? I owned or played pretty much every model PRS had out and just couldn't get the "growl" of a Les Paul. That said, they were all great looking, sounding, playing guitars, just didn't work for me..

16. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

I have a need to have a Fender and a Gibson; but not necessarily those two models. My ideal pair would probably be a Strat and an ES-345.

/rick

17. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

+1 I have a semi hollow Hamer Monoco with Seth Lovers, sounds much better then my R& I used to own.

18. deoreo

deoreo Member

Nope, not for me, anyways, I recognise both the Strat and LP as the icons they are, but don't feel compelled to have to own one - I think every guitar player should really spend time with each of them, to get a grip on what they are about, though.

Tone, and playability are what it's about for me, I tend to prefer a "strat-ish" style with a HB in the bridge. It helps if it's easy on the eyes, too......but I love my Steinberger GM......so what do I know..hehe...:D

19. smorgdonkey

smorgdonkey Member

I think any guitar player should have a Les Paul, a Strat and a Tele. Those three 'flavours' are necessities to me.

20. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

What choices would you suggest?