Strat Mahogany Body w/Solid Rosewood Neck?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Steve Mavronis, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Steve Mavronis

Steve Mavronis Member

Mahogany body and rosewood neck... Would those wood combinations work together on a Strat? Should the both types of wood be finished or just oiled?

I'm thinking about something like this so just wondering. Was leaning towards a mahogany body with a maple neck Strat but there seems to be a debate about that!

2. SMark

SMark Member

As long as you scallop the neck I'm sure it would work great! :bonk

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  3. Steve Mavronis

Steve Mavronis Member

:agree You reading my thoughts? ;)

Here is a concept graphic (made in GIMP layers) of what I'm going for to be built... and yes full scalloped!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  4. kevinhifi

kevinhifi Member

I did the mahogany body/maple neck combo for a while and really dug it.

5. rockonomics

rockonomics Member

I like the look. All but the tuners on the wrong side. I see no point in making the geetar harder to tune.

6. Steve Mavronis

Steve Mavronis Member

LOL, Jimi Hendrix didn't seem to have any problem. It's a reverse headstock. My old guitar had a reverse headstock and my hand left had no problem working the tuners at all. My ears did the rest! What do Les Paul users do for the 3 bottom tuners that they have? Must really handicap them :p

Besides, it's probably better for tuning stability on a Strat because it serves the same basic function as string trees angling the E-B-G string side more from the nut. But it's just a concept graphic. I can easily flip the headstock around for a standard look.

7. AD_

AD_ Member

I like any guitar with a solid rosewood neck. I own one, and want to own more.

I have been thinking of a rosewood neck strat for a while, also. Not sure of what body wood I would use yet. Probably the traditional ash or alder, but not sure.

As for yours, I would definitely put no finish on the neck except oil. Nitro finish on the body and oiled neck. Sand the neck smooth, and oil it up, then wipe clean. Feels and looks delicious!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PS: Personally, I would not scallop the neck. But to each his own!

8. SMark

SMark Member

Love it, Steve!

In fact, it does sort of remind me of one of my Strats...

[​IMG]

...And definitely scallop the neck!

9. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

I think it would sound great. I'd finish it with polyurethane myself. Oil finishes have to be reapplied every so often. And I like reverse headstocks.

10. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

It wouldn't sound much like a Strat but it might sound good.

11. robertkoa

robertkoa Member

Well - I feel when you change woods -it still sounds like a Strat ( haven't done it on Fender , but other 25.5" Bolt On ).

But you get different "flavors " of Strat- when you put narrow window low to medium output pickups on those locations on the scale length- even if it's a fat sounding Mahogany or Koa or Lacewood Body- still sounds like a Strat.

Sometimes there's less difference than you would think.

I'd imagine that Mahogany with a full Rosewood ( don't tell Gibson ) neck would be nicely dark and thick sounding- the heavier sides of Strat.

12. otaypanky

otaypanky Gold Supporting Member

A few months I purchased a neck to replace the one on an old MIJ strat that had some really bad fret wear. A neck seemed like a more cost effective option than a re-fret. Maple was reasonably priced, but the idea of rosewood intrigued me. I went a little crazy and ordered something I didn't know if I would like. It was a one piece construction made of Goncalo Alves, a wood I had never heard of. It's a waxy wood and needs no sealer or finish coat. I got the fatback neck profile and it's a hefty chunk of wood indeed. Stainless steel frets, play like butter and not harsh sounding in the least, staggered Schaller locking tuners, and a teflon impregnated nut. It gave that old start a sustain it never had before.
    As it turned out the neck felt so awesome I kept thinking it needed a body of it's own. I was looking at the mahogany bodies but I came across a chambered black korina body and fell in love with the grain. I gave it a Tru-Oil finish, and loaded it with Klein Epic '57 pickups, an RS vintage wiring kit, and a Callaham bridge. Man do I love the sound of this thing! It totally sounds like a strat but with a real sweetness and great sustain
    Definitely, go experiment !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Tubevalvemaniac

Tubevalvemaniac Member

Make step further and consider rosewood body as well.
    I have Rosewood Tele and it is definitely different to other Teles I've played.
    It retains all Tele's character, but become somehow wider, more expressive and resonant in appropriate way.
    If properly done, body will not be much heavier (due to multiple holes construction)and overal effect is stunning.
    No coating of course and just oil on wood is so addictive that later on all other guitars are used less and less.
    Of course ultimate axe would be all Brazilian Rosewood Strat, but where to buy wood (besides the price that would be exorbitant)?

14. Steve Mavronis

Steve Mavronis Member

Another option would be to have a mahogany neck (to match the body) with a rosewood finger board? Then again a straight one piece scalloped maple neck would look also nice, sort of like the Charvel "Natural Series" Strat-style guitar features.

Not sure how heavy a Strat like this would compare to my Yngwie signature Strat which is definitely heavier than my MIM standard Strat. Also the Yngwie Strat has a deeper belly contour than a standard Strat body. But I may get the insides of the Strat body's horns cut deeper (saving some weight) giving better fret access. I like the outer shape of a Strat better than a Dinky and Soloist which I think are contoured slightly different.

15. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

It could be heavy if you care. I painted a guitar for a buddy that was a mahogany body with a big maple neck with ebony board. It sounded great. It was heavy though. But who cares. Probably difficult to re-sell as well. I would get it properly lacquered on the body and leave the neck raw.