• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Strat Mania

Zounds Perspex

Gold Supporting Member
I've got it. :facepalm

Is there a support group for this?
Now that I have a couple I like, I keep thinking about OTHER Strats I would like,
thinking about what I can trade for more Strats, what internal organs I could flip for more Strats...
is there no end to this? what is it about these dumb guitars?
'65 Vintage Hot Rod, different versions of the EJ Strat, K-Line, Grosh, Suhr, Wildwood 10s...

I know this is just a common GAS flareup, but gah!
how many Strats is too many? why on Earth do I want 20 different versions of the same guitar? am I hungry? discuss.

Zounds Perspex

Gold Supporting Member
I am fairly certain I do not have that many fingers and toes.
Perhaps instead of a quantity, I should have asked for cubic feet of Strats.

MSS

I own over 20....yes, it is an obsession but lot's of fun! Lot's of resources on the web to 'enable' you; try strat-talk. And the holy grail of stratocaster books is an out-of-print Japanese softcover called Galaxy of Strats. My wife found one for me in Japan a few years back..........

Zounds Perspex

Gold Supporting Member
hi Drew!

man, not totally off Jazzmasters, but just way more on Strats.
I miss the hell outta that Hot Rod I traded you. :jo
if you ever decide to unload it, definitely hit me up first.

I just wanted a Strat, and traded an amp I wasn't gelling with for an Eric Johnson sig, and just...wow.
Reminded me how great they can be.
It also reminded me how much easier it is to play a guit with a flatter fretboard.
I have a gorgeous beat-up '65 Jazzmaster gathering dust now because of the vintage frets/fretboard radius.

but mainly, I just figured out how useful all the sounds a Strat can get if they're setup correctly.
Digging all 5 positions now when used in the right context. No other guit is close to that for me.

grooveht

Besides all of the other great attributes, one of the Strat's greatest draws is variety. SSS? HSS? HSH? Mini/Mini/Hum? You can experiment with all of those on ONE BODY. They come in hardtail, vintage trem and floyd (someone probably has a bigsby on one, maybe you can find a few with jazzmaster trems for reasons unknown). That, and they sound AWESOME. :D

Zounds Perspex

Gold Supporting Member
I own over 20....yes, it is an obsession but lot's of fun! Lot's of resources on the web to 'enable' you; try strat-talk. And the holy grail of stratocaster books is an out-of-print Japanese softcover called Galaxy of Strats. My wife found one for me in Japan a few years back..........
got a photobucket or flickr account? I wanna check out yer collection! ha, I registered at strat-talk last week, and I'll look for that book! have the Stratocaster Chronicles? any good?

GibsonLives

Glad you liked them, Zounds. Maybe you'll be pleased to know that I recently sold two of the three and bought a '74 LP Custom lol. Still have the Smith, though; that one's going nowhere!
Steve

d.rhoads

Man, I'm so with you. I went from almost selling my Strat and hating them, to being obsessed with them. You really have to "figure out" the Strat. Once the whole concept of it makes sense to you, you will never go back. For me, it took me to put the right pups in, and then it all clicked.

I've got it. :facepalm

Is there a support group for this?
Now that I have a couple I like, I keep thinking about OTHER Strats I would like,
thinking about what I can trade for more Strats, what internal organs I could flip for more Strats...
is there no end to this?
what is it about these dumb guitars?
'65 Vintage Hot Rod, different versions of the EJ Strat, K-Line, Grosh, Suhr, Wildwood 10s...
Well, if you decide to go that route, that would likely be the end of it--for you anyway.

:nuts

Seriously though, I've got a few good ones and another that's an assemblage of leftover parts from other guitars--which might be a kick ass guitar with a little love and care--and I'm still afflicted with a bizarre fixation with vintage-style strats. Three should be plenty--certainly enough to cover the bases of the myriad gradation of strat tones with the right amps and pedals--yet I'm still thinking, "Maybe just one more...'cause they look so cool!"

:facepalm

Somewhere out there is a guy who owns 50 strats--possibly more now because this story is a few years old. A friend sold a guitar on ebay and one guy who lost the auction contacted the seller to tell him how much he liked the guitar and to express his disappointment. The seller started empathizing with the guy, until the guy in question told him he already had 50 strats in his collection. If that guy posts here, and it sounds like he might, I'd like to hear his thoughts on owning a bunch of strats and more so, why 50 isn't enough.

:eek:

I know this is just a common GAS flareup, but gah!
how many Strats is too many? why on Earth do I want 20 different versions of the same guitar? am I hungry? discuss.
According to this chart there are 18 custom colors on the '50s/'60s color palette. So 20 strats would be enough to have one in every custom color, plus two more if you absolutely must have two particular colors with maple and rosewood fret-boards--or all 18 colors plus two more in two-tone and three-tone sunburst, respectively.

straycat113

I don't know about 50 but I can picture someone with 20 and not think it odd, I own 4 and can think of quite a few more I would like to add. Lets face it they do not have all those models because they come in different colors. My Clapton has a TBX and Mid Boost which can put me very close to Humbucker territory, my old Strat Ultra has 4 Laces Sensors, Ebony board, non locking Floyd and mini toggle for a variety of tones, my Beck has Hot Noisless pups, LSR nut and 2 point trem, and we all know the features on a US Deluxe. I would love to grab a Dave Murray model but have a Suhr on order which I believe will be the way I go from this point on. There is just so much you can do with them and they are the most comfortable guitar design ever.

Gearaddict

I'm new to the club and have a classic looking 3-tone burst with mint pickguard Deluxe on order. I demo'd one plugged into an AC15C1 and it was all over for me. I would love to add a 50's and 60's reissue to my collection also. The 7 1/4" neck radius on the re-issues plays every bit as good as the compound radius on the Deluxe.

The strat is the most copied guitar design ever conceived. Leo was brilliant when he designed the first one. I'm a purist when it comes to these kinds of things. If it don't say Fender, it just aint a strat. I fully realize Fender has changed owners over the years, but really don't care. Pre-CBS, CBS and all that other BS don't matter. They're all great!

I'm hooked!:messedup

Taller

Gold Supporting Member
'65 Vintage Hot Rod,
Wait...what? Mine are '62 Hot Rods. Is there a '65 HR? Now you're giving me a reason to buy another!:)
And if it isn't bad enough that they're so versatile and comfortable, a Strat looks great in any color - let's see yer Les Paul do that!;)

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
One is too many for me. I've owned a handful of strats (only two Fenders), and that's what I learned... but if it's your thing, there is probably more variety possible in strats than any other guitar. I'll grant you that.

...a Strat looks great in any color - let's see yer Les Paul do that!;)
I will grant you this!

Zounds Perspex

Gold Supporting Member
Wait...what? Mine are '62 Hot Rods. Is there a '65 HR? Now you're giving me a reason to buy another!:)
And if it isn't bad enough that they're so versatile and comfortable, a Strat looks great in any color - let's see yer Les Paul do that!;)
just a typo! aiii!

Trending Topics