Strat/Marshall players:

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DGDGBD, Feb 6, 2008.

1. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

Strat into 4-hole marshal, no pedals:

How do you set your amp vol/tone controls for a good clean tone? I can not for the life of me get a tone that I like. Too thin and nasally. My pickups are seymor duncans vintage staggered. Its not the guitar because it sounds great through other amps. (Let me know which model amp you are talking about) Thanks.

2. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Supporting Member

Does your amp have a bright cap? That might be your problem at lower/clean volumes.

3. hogy

hogy Member

You need to give some more info on the exact model Marshall.

Generally speaking I prefer the Bass channel in a 4-holer and give it more treble and presence than I would in the Bright channel. Upping the treble adds juiciness and harmonics. Set Bass and Middle to taste, turn up the volume until you get slightly past a pristine clean, then use your guitar volume and picking dynamics to clean it up.

I get killer clean sounds out of my Marshalls.

Another little trick if you like a touch of reverb on your cleans. Get a nice digital reverb unit (I use an old Lexicon LXP-1).
    Plug your guitar into Bass input 1. With another cord, connect Bass input 2 to the input of the reverb. Another cable from reverb out into Bright input 1, Your Bright volume is now a reverb control and you still get the "straight in" guitar tone as well.

4. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

Thanks so far for the advice. My main amp is a 50-watt clone that I built. It has the plexi/5F6A tone stack and v1 resistor/cap values. Slighty lower plate voltage (~380), and OEI OPT . I also have four mini toggles that allow me to take the bright cap in and out of the circuit, choose between 100pf or 47pf bright cap values, use or lose the 500 pf mix-resistor bypass cap and add a 100pf cap to the bass channel.

5. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

are the tubes tested and biased???

6. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

Yes, I use winged-C el34s biased to 60% of dissipation, plus a mix of NOS preamp tubes that recently tested fine. Amp isn't the problem - been using it for ten years now. I have no problems getting a good tone using my guitars w/HB pickups.

7. jetydosa

jetydosa Silver Supporting Member

I had no probs getting a great clean tone with my 100w SL just rolling down the vol on the guitar. Usualy settings were guitar in to Treble-1, Treble-2 jumped to Bass-1, both vols on about 5-6. Of course, it was ridiculously loud w/o attenuator but it would clean up fantastic for me.

8. swankmotee

swankmotee Member

For clean tones I usually set all the tone controls to 10 and Y into the two inputs and set the bright channel to anywhere from 9 to 10 o'clock and bass channel to anywhere from 1 to 3 o'clock. Of course the prescence control varies a good bit between amps so you'll have to set that to taste but if the amp is firing on all cylinders then these settings should work very well.

9. dumeril7

dumeril7 Member

Using a model 1987: I plug into the top-left input, jumper the channels and turn them both up to around 6 or so. Adjust the tone controls to taste, but its not as important as turning the amp up loud -- well into overdrive. Then I roll back the guitar volume to get a clean tone. Those amps do that quite well. By cranking it up, you reduce the effect of the treble bypass cap and get a warmer tone. Jumpering the channels also warms the tone. Obviously, this solution is a loud one, but that's the way these amps sound best and deliver that classic tone IMO.

D7

10. Echoes

Echoes Senior Member

if HBs work good try slamming the front end of the amp when using a strat...a tube boost?, (Landgraff LDO or Klon gain real low and switch in middle plus volume up around 3 o'clock is what I use with strats), any class A boost...in short use something to compensate for the weaker pups hitting the front of the amp.

11. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

Thanks everyone, I had some success with some of the suggestions. I'm going to try a good EQ pedal so that I don't have to mess with my amp settings when switching from guitar to guitar.