Strat, Master Volume & Master Tone, Load Question...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by football, Apr 30, 2016.

1. football

football Silver Supporting Member

Hi, wondering when using JUST one master volume and one master tone (only two pots total), does that put any extra load on positions 2 & 4 (or any positions)?

Trying to see if there are any possible changes that occur load wise, over a more stock strat wiring of one volume and two tone pots.

Thank you

2. AdmiralB

AdmiralB Silver Supporting Member

You would have extra load when the bridge pickup is on alone. Otherwise, you'd have no differences except for neck+middle - you'd have less load with the master tone setup.

football likes this.
  3. football

football Silver Supporting Member

You're example is figuring for traditional vintage wiring, is that correct? Where one tone pot is for neck, one for middle, while bridge has none, right?

And thank you for your help.

4. AdmiralB

AdmiralB Silver Supporting Member

Yep. FWIW the two-tone setup never really made any practical sense to me. I usually add a G&L-style bass rolloff in place of the second tone in Strats (although I rarely use it).

football likes this.
  5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

yep, it'll be less load on N+M, the same load on M+B, and more load on B by itself.

i'm with @AdmiralB, it's arguably better, you get a more even response across the positions.

my quick "cheat" to to re-wire a stock strat eric johnson/jimmy vaughan style, moving one wire to take the second tone pot off the middle pickup and put it on the bridge. that improves both the darkish N+M and the harsh B settings, at the price of making M by itself a little brighter.

your master tone setup avoids that compromise, loading everything just right.

football likes this.
  6. cardinal

cardinal Supporting Member

The vintage two-tone setup isn't very useful to me, but I really like the modified/modern setup @walterw mentions. I never touch the neck tone (but leave it for the load it provides) but leave the bridge tone rolled back to 7 or 8 to take off the edge.

football likes this.