Strat mod idea. Could it work? Would it suck?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Soundhound, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

I'm thinking of getting a concentric pot for the 2nd tone control on my strat, so I can have separate tone controls for each pickup. I'm also interested in the blender mod I've been reading about, being able to turn the bridge pickup on an off, and dial in just how much of it you want with the neck or neck/middle selected. Two questions

1) Would there be anyway to do both of these mods with just the three controls (the conentric pot takes care of the bridge and middle tone controls, is there a way to do the bridge blend mod piggy backing on the volume pot maybe - push-pull??)

2) Has anybody done this? Did it work out? If not, anybody think this might be a good configuration of controls?

2. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

You might want to move this to Guitar and Bass Technical Info. Here it risks getting lost in the noise and soon dropping off the 1st page into oblivion. In the G&BTI section which moves along at a slower pace your thread will have an order of magnitude longer shelf life and eventually be seen by all of the truly electronics savvy folks here who are the ones who regularly check the other section.

3. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

IfI were going to do this, I would probably use two concentric pots. Use one for neck tone/middle tone and the other for bridge tone/bridge blend. Keep the volume pot a single.

I haven't done this, but it should work well. I'm more of a single tone, single vol guy, so I personally wouldn't do it but there's no reason you shouldn't!

4. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

If you were going to do this, you had better also include a Super Switch in the formula -- a true, 4P5T switch. If you use the standard Strat switch, you'll end up with two tone controls for each of the two inbetween positions. In those positions, each tone control affects the total sound, not its own pickup. The end result is muddy inbetween positions.

I'd either go with the Eric Johnson setup -- move the middle pickup's tone control to the bridge pickup, so that there is no tone control on the neck, but only one tone control for each of the two inbetween positions -- or, install a super switch, and give the outside tone control to the bridge only position, and all the other positions get the middle tone control.

5. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

Fullerplast - that sounds like a good setupp, thanks!

Jim - Would I need that switch you describe if I were going to follow Fullerplast's idea for a configuration?

Jon - How do you move a thread?

6. fullerplast

Jim's right, although the problem would not be much different than a stock strat in the neck/middle position with a separate tone control for each. It all depends on what the pot value is and how much you have the tone rolled off.

Another thought came to mind that may be interesting for you to try....use a concentric vol/tone pot for each of the three pickups. You can blend in anything and you wouldn't need the switch, although you could use it as a three way to remove either the neck or bridge.

7. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

That's a pretty wild idea. You'd have full control over vol and tone for each pickup.But you'd be missing a master volume? I've relly gotten into controlling the amount of drive/dirt I get with the guitar volume... hmmm... I think I might go just for the concentric pot for middle and bridge tone controls and save the blender for later on. Or visa versa.

8. fullerplast

You want something real wild....put a slider type pot in the switch slot and use it for a master vol.....:D

9. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

Then move it above the vol/tone controls so you can do the dickey betts/liz reed volume thing? there's no end to this, is there? :cool:

10. fullerplast

Now that is much easier with a rotary knob....but you are correct, there is no end to this!:AOK

11. Seegs

Seegs Member

you gotta be careful when wiring in a blender pot...if you use a regular pot you get some tone suckage in the form of lost highs...I wire my strats with a master volumn/tone and use a no-load pot for my blender pot...you can also order a special Blender pot from ACME Guitarworks...

Chow,
    Seegs

12. Sean

Sean Member

I've been wondering what the difference between a "no-load" pot and an "Acme Blender" pot is (besides $3). I was thinking they are the same. Anyone know different?

13. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Ah, don't bother - between fullerplast and Jim Collins, if they don't know how to wire it, I'm not sure anyone will. :D

14. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

Cool, in my ignorance, I landed in the right place. :p

I'm thinking the concentric pot thing might be a little too much to deal with. So that means either:

Volume/Tone/Blender

or

Volume/Neck tone/Middle or bridge tone.

I've been playing almost all 4th position (neck/middle) for the last few years, but this is a different guitar (JV strat w/WCR SRs) than my #1 the last few years (G&L Legacy w/Suhr 60lps). So i'm thinking maybe I'll be more interested in the bridge pickup if I can color the tone more. Arg. I'm confusing myself. Help!

btw I'm not doing the wiring myself, there's a great shop near here that's doing it. They just need me to tell them what the hell it is I want.

15. Seegs

Seegs Member

quote from ACME:
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A blender pot is a specially-modified pot that replaces one of a Strat's tone controls, and allows you to combine the neck and bridge pickups together. The remaining tone control typically becomes a master tone. Blenders are modified to eliminate bleed-through when turned fully clockwise. Here's how they operate:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The normal position for a blender pot is fully clockwise. At this position it is completely removed from the circuit (think true-bypass switch) and does nothing, so the guitar effectively becomes a two-control guitar with master volume and master tone. In this position, the blender does not load the guitar's circuit.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]------------------------------------------------[/FONT]

that just sounds like a no-load pot to me...probably made to ACME's specs...
    I don't know what advantage there is vs. the regular no-load pot...I've used both and they both were an improvment over a stock CTS pot as there was no bleed through or loss of highs...

Chow,
    Seegs

16. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

Just checking in. I got my JV with wagner pups back. I went the straight blender route: control 1 volume, control 2 master tone, control 3 blender. The jury's still out, but there's certainly a wide variety of tones available. One oddity, the way the blender is wired, 10 is all the way off (i.e. with the neck pickup selected, the bridge pup is all the way off) and 0 is all the way on. Is that backwards? Or is that how blenders are wired?

17. justicetones

justicetones Member

That is how my blender is too. To me it makes sense especially if someone else pickups up the guitar and doesn't know that the blender pot is there. All of my blender pots are wired like yours.