strat mod question? wires...?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by neastguy, Feb 11, 2008.

1. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

I want to wire my strat so I can use the tone knob on my bridge pickup.. I see how to do it.. just wondering what wire to use.. I need a jumper wire and I have no clue as to what to get and where to get.... stewmac? allparts? i dunno

2. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

I've done that on 2 strats with bridge humbuckers so I can roll of the treble if you don't use a coil tap mini switch most strat come with a 4 pin 5 way. you need a 6 pin 5 way switch then wire the pots. You can look up the wiring mods on line which is a common mod.

3. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

4. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

thanks, but all I need to know is what type of wire should I use ? i need a jumper wire... I have 3 single coils...

5. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

6. Bob V

Bob V Member

22 gauge stranded. Vintage repro wiring will be cloth covered, which is nice to work with since you just push it back instead of using a wire stripper. Teflon insulated wire is more tolerant of soldering iron heat, the cheaper plastic insulation on Radio Shack hookup wire will melt. However all you need is a very short length of bare copper wire to jump the adjacent pads on the switch, and plain solid wire would work fine for this, again 22 gauge is in the right zone. Do you have any scrap wire laying around? maybe a piece left over from a doorbell kit (that's why they call it "bell wire").