Strat neck fit question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by pickaguitar, Jun 20, 2008.

1. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

I played on a friend's partscaster strat recently & when playing I was able to move the neck slightly without much force.
    When I checked the screws seemed fairly tight and/or proper tension. I didn't want to over tighten them...

When moved the alignment would change.
    -Push downward and the strings are closer to the unwound E string.
    -Pull upward and the strings are closer to the wound E. What would cause this and can it be fixed?

2. David Collins

David Collins Member

That's the way Fenders are. Always have been, always will be. Just needs the screws tightened down a bit more to hold it in place, without crushing the neck plate in to the finish.

I'd try tightening the screws a bit more.

3. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

Ok thanks David :)
    I've mostly been a les paul guy thus far!

4. Bob V

Bob V Member

Some vintage Fenders not-so-mysteriously turn up with a piece of what looks like window screen in the neck pocket. Perhaps from time to time somebody resorted to using an abrasive drywall sanding screen to keep the neck from shifting around.

So, yes, it's something that should be addressed, but no, it's not a big deal.

5. wavey63

wavey63 Member

NOt sure if you'll want to do this but I had a Strat that did the same thing. I just took an old playing card and used it o the side of the neck joint to make the neck joint a bit tighter. I cut it small enough so that you couldn't see it and it kept the neck from moving. I also read that you could use a bit of fine wire mesh in the pocket between body and neck. The pattern of the weave will act as a friction poont to bond those pieces together without moving.

6. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

Also remember, because it's a partsocaster, there may be a wider neck pocket (say, 2.25" v. 2.1875") than the actual neck width. If you get parts from various off-brand manufacturers, different Fender Licensed manufacturers, or even different Fender production (MIM, MIJ, MIA), there will likely be some play.

7. eVITAERC

eVITAERC Member

Neck play can, and should, be fixed by wedging a thin piece of wood between the neck and the sidewalls of the pocket. You can simply use a small sheet of paper, or plane a very thin piece of whatever wood the body is made of. A well-fitted strat should be able to be picked up by the neck even without any screws.