Strat neck on a Tele?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 335guy, Jan 30, 2012.

1. 335guy

335guy Member

I thought I read somewhere that a Strat neck will not fit on a Tele body, but I don't know why. Is it a sizing difference, or the holes don't line up. The reason I ask is I have both a strat and a tele where I love the strat neck but don't like the weight of the body and the tone of the pup's. The Tele has a great body and nice electronics, but I cannot get with the neck. Is there a possibility I can marry the two, strat neck on the tele body?

2. Mancunion

Mancunion Member

Looking at my guits, it seems that strats have a round neck end as opposite as tellys necks, which are square. They won't fit each other pockets I'm afraid...

3. wemedge

wemedge Member

I put a strat neck on a MIM '50s tele body. Works fine, although the heel shape is different (not squared off), so there is a space you can see at the corners of the pickguard. other than that it works.

wemedge

4. GrungeMan

GrungeMan Supporting Member

The view from Ice Lake in The Great White North
    Square peg in a round hole.

It's called a Tele Deluxe made from 72-81, re-issued there-after in Y2K.
    The Tele Deluxe used a Strat neck, so with some modification it can be done.

Grungy :D

5. shredmiyagi

shredmiyagi Member

Flat vs. round heels... however, I've been led to believe that side-to-side width/snugness is more important than contact at the heel joint. Nevertheless, I guess to maintain your proper scale length, you're looking at some body pocket shaving to fit the Strat neck, as you wouldn't want to shave the Strat neck into shape. Don't think it's worth the pain unless you're in love with the specific Strat neck and the Tele body you own.. I think the "feel" of the Strat has more to do with the trem/springs.. outside of the headstock and heel shapes, there's no difference between your typical Strat and Tele neck.

6. rspencer

rspencer Member

The Strat neck will go right in the Tele body fine. There will just be small spaces at the corners. It's the reverse (Tele neck in a Strat) that can't be done without modifying the neck.

7. DrBob

DrBob Member

+1 and if you've got a 22fret Strat neck with the 22nd fret on the overhang you don't even see the little gaps at each corner.

8. L_Totti

L_Totti Member

Clapton used a Tele with a strat neck with Blind Faith IIRC...

9. 335guy

335guy Member

Hey Thanks. I'm gonna try it. And thanks for the info that Clapton used a Tele with a strat neck in Blind Faith. I watched a video of Blind Faith from '69 where EC is playing a bound Tele body with a strat neck. Cool!