Strat neck shape comparison - EJ vs....

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mike@switchback, Jul 24, 2008.

1. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Supporting Member

How does the neck shape on the EJ compare to some of the other current models, particularly the other thin-skin-finish models?

While I liked the EJ neck at first, it's causing hand pain. Do any of the others, like the '54 Thin Skin, have a smaller neck?

2. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

the eric johnson neck contour is the same as the old 50s strats (soft V).

The fretboard itself is a much flatter radius though (12" vs. 7.25"). Its more like an acoustic guitar. A 50s style strat will probably be more comfortable to play for long periods of time for rhythm because the neck is more ergonomic.

3. mike@switchback

Thanks. I guess I should have said size rather than shape. Can anybody compare the size of the Thin Skin '54 and '59 strats to the EJ?

4. re-animator

yep... the EJ is huge!

5. Joe_Steeler

Joe_Steeler Member

But not Nocaster huge.

The CS '56 TM w/satin finish is probably the most comfortable neck Fender Makes. IMHO

6. zenfreud

zenfreud Member

This just goes to show why each player really needs to play guitars in person, we all have our personal preferences.

The three or four '56's I've tried weren't comfortable to me, they were too large. And I wanted to like a '56, thought it'd be a good fit.

I briefly played a rosewood board Thin Skin Strat and it was a pretty nice size, had some heft to it, but felt shallower than a Nocaster.

I wonder why the EJ has a 12" radius when he's known for playing vintage Strats. Has he had old Strats re-planed, made flatter for bending? Are most of the 80's shredder guitars a 12" or similar radius?

7. re-animator

yep, he has his tech re-plane the fretboard to 12". Its not only to facilitate ending and vibrato..... it also works better for the complex chord voicings and string skipping techniques EJ likes to use.

Yep, a lot of those 80s pointy guitar shredders used 12" radii, but i think the reason EJ said he prefers the flatter necks is because they feel more like a classical guitar.

8. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

Wildwood lists the neck thickness at the 1st and 12th frets for the 54 and 59 Thin Skins. You could use calipers to measure your EJ neck and compare them. I suspect that the 54 and 59 TS will be shallower toward the nut but pretty close in depth at the 12th fret and higher. The TS necks are C shaped (maybe more shoulder on the 59 from what I've been told), whereas the EJ is a soft V like the CS 56. You might be able to find an SRV or Mayer Strat for comparison.

9. uOpt

uOpt Member

Don't forget that the fret size also changes how you feel the neck.

12" is standard radius on Gibsons and most Ibanez, but it's rare combined with a V neck.

The 57 American Vintage also has a smaller neck than the EJ.

If the EJ causes you hand pain you need to find out whether the thick neck or the flat fretboard causes it, it could be either.

10. mike@switchback

I'm pretty sure it's the back shape. My Suhr is a 10-14" compound. My other guitars are 10 and 12 - no pain problems. Thanks for the input everybody.

11. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

How's the EJ working out Mike? Which one is winning the battle?

12. mike@switchback

The EJ's up for sale. It came down to a choice between the vintage style of the EJ and the quality of the Suhr. Both sound great. So I was going back and forth for a few days when I noticed that every time I played the EJ, after five or ten minutes or so, the joints in my left hand started to hurt. At the base of my fingers and in the palm. So in a way that was a good thing because it made the decision easy. But I'm happy with the Suhr...it's a great guitar...

13. redgold

redgold Supporting Member

Don't rule out the v-shape as the culprit... I can play thin or thick necks, unless it has a v shape. Not sure why, but v shaped necks always lead to some wrist pain for me.

Ray

14. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Glad it was easy, gotta take care of those digits. Congrats on the Suhr.

15. npsiwak

npsiwak Member

Im looking into getting one of these hopefully soonish... I am unfamiliar with using a thicker neck like the EJ strat has, but i sort of liked the meatieness of the neck, plus the general feel of the guitar. I guess you cant really tell how you respond to it unless i have a chance to play it for an extended period of time.

16. WaysideRickNJ

WaysideRickNJ Member

I just spent a few hours with an EJ, and found the neck to be very close to my CS-336 and my LP Custom - I think THAT may be the final selling point for me - it's a Strat that feels (to me) close to my Gibsons.

17. Pruski

Pruski Member

A good rasp and sand paper would work!

18. mike@switchback

The thought has occurred to me, believe me...but that's an expensive commitment...

19. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

I have a few different size and shaped necks as I can generally get comfortable with anything thats not way to big or way to thin. A while back I ordered a neck from USA custom guitars with a somewhat soft v neck. It was somewhat mid sized. Anyway I was getting a lot of hand pain and figured it was the carve. I ended up sanding it down in the center to give it more of a C feel but still with some shoulder missing on top and bottom. It felt far more comfortable after I was done but unfortunately I hit the rod in the center. Bizzarly I put a few coats of lacquer over it and you can't feel it whatsoever. I still am not sure which neck I am most comfortable playing spec wise but due to the hand pain the V carve was not a favorite. I don't mind a little shoulder missing but the C center works better for me. I do remember liking the EJ neck which is like a slightly smaller boatneck.

20. qwer

qwer Member

I have bought an EJ last nov & sold it to get a 57 Vintage Hot rod. The neck is too big for my ***** hands & its not comfortable. But the EJ's tone is really nice. So i swapped a Fralins Vintage Hot in my 57 to kinda compensate it.