Strat neck swap - fill & redrill necessity?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by m-m-m, Mar 20, 2015.

1. m-m-m

m-m-m Member

My main strat is a 1995 MIM standard. It happens to be the first guitar I ever bought, and it's covered in stickers. I like the way it looks, but sometimes I want something that looks a bit more classy. There's a fender US '14 body on eBay that I'd really like to get. At some point down the road I might get a new neck to go with the new body but for the time being I was hoping I might be able to just take the neck off my '95mim and put it on the new body. I've done "fill and drills" before, but since this may only be a temporary arrangement I was hoping I could avoid it. What are my chances? Just trying to make an informed decision before I make a purchase. Which option in the poll do you think best applies?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  2. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

USA and Mexico parts will interchange with no issues. Japan stuff is metric and while it is very close neck pockets tend to be a tad wider.

3. m-m-m

m-m-m Member

Anybody else wanna chime in for me?

4. dayn

dayn Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

You won't know until the parts are in hand, but should bolt right on.

5. AdmiralB

AdmiralB Silver Supporting Member

I agree with both points.

6. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

You got a real high percentage likelihood of a decent fit. Sometimes one or the other of the parts got hand sanded in some funny way, or Goodness knows what.

You may wanna use your MIM 4 bolt neck plate to conceal the Microtilt (should your American body be a USA Standard, etc.) People loan out their partscaster and someone who doesn't know better tries out the Microtilt feature on a neck with no insert to deal with screw and it can burrow into and split the heel.

7. m-m-m

m-m-m Member

I appreciate all the votes and tips I got ... But in the end I ended up buying the whole guitar. One of those new sandblasted ash strats in crimson red transparent. It's my first US guitar! I'll post and link a NGD thread then in the next few days for anybody that may be interested.