Strat Necks

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by auburn-grad, Sep 8, 2006.

1. auburn-grad

auburn-grad Member

....just curious....which model(s) of strats have the largest/beefiest necks?

....I was sitting around playing my R8 and was wondering if there is/was a strat that had a neck with similar proportions...?

2. SFW

SFW Member

IIRC, the 50's strats had a pretty beefy neck. Others may be able to assist you more with this.

3. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

The biggest real neck I've played came off of an early 50s Telecaster. The biggest fake neck I've played is the neck on Joe Bonamassa's Gold Metalflake Stratocaster (baseball bat). I have a baseball bat neck and others. I love my Gigliotti and the EJs, funny thing is I like the tone from a rosewood board so I eventually need to get a soft V like the EJs but with a rosewood fretboard...

4. WordMan

WordMan Member

To my knowledge and playing experience, the Eric Johnson Strat (the EJ as clothwiring refers to it) has a nice, big beefy neck with a soft V. I also played a 50th Anniversary Strat that had a big neck, but also played a number that didn't...

5. dpeterson

dpeterson Member

the old jeff beck model was huge, unplayable for me. he even changed it, now it's a smaller c shape, dont know what the heck he was thinking...

dave

6. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

Once you get used to the baseball bat style necks...you can play that until the cows come home. I love mine, yeah it's huge but it's very comfortable. Also the bigger the neck the less fatigue I'll feel. My main Tele has a "standard thin" by warmoth and although it sounds great I eventually will put a bigger neck on it as the thin neck can get tiresome on the hands after a few sets. Give me a big neck and I'm happier.

7. MGT

MGT Member

Last night my local music store let me take a new Classic Players 60's strat home to try out. It sounded fantastic & looked great but I could hardly play it because the neck was HUGE (to me) compared to my tele & Hw1 strat. It has a full C shape.

8. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

The Robert Cray strat has a pretty nice, full C neck...I find the EJ neck to be bigger than my R8...

9. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

The beefiest current production neck from Fender that I'm aware of is the soft-V or "10/56" neck found on 50's Relics, Closet Classics, and NOS's. It's good size, but not insane like the original Beck's, and some of the bigger stuff from the custom guys like Warmoth, USACG, etc. If you want really big, that's where you should go

/rick

10. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    Here's the Warmoth neck profile page with full descriptions:
    http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/necks.cfm?fuseaction=back_profiles

It's the best reference I know of for describing neck profiles as well as including their measurements.

Give me fatbacks, baby!
    :dude :D

11. VDeuce

VDeuce Member

The American Deluxe V Neck Strat has a really great neck, one that I think a LP player would like. It is a maple board only, however.

I played two and was very impressed.

12. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

54 Reissue from USA or Japan is a beefy V.

13. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

I've got a 60's vintage player strat that is DEFINETLY Beefy. Even though my LP classic has a slightly enlarged 60's neck, it's beefier than that.

Noticably bigger than my AMSE strat, feels like a toothpick after playing the VP.