• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Strat-o-Tele is almost completed...so much to UNLEARN!

Lewguitar

This 1980's MIJ Fender Strat has been a favorite for a long time. Bought it in a pawn shop in Boulder about 20 years ago and it had a Dimarzio Super Distortion pickup mounted in it...which I quickly removed. Not my style, so I put a set of Antiquity Surfers in it.

A few years ago I installed a pair of Antiquity Surfers (neck and RW/RP middle) and an Alnico 2 Duncan '53 Style Tapped JB bridge pickup that MJ wound for me. Used a push/pull tone pot to go from Hot to Vintage on the bridge pickup.

Sounded good but didn't sound like a Tele to me and I wondered why. Thought it must be because the bridge pickup was mounted in the pickguard instead of in a Tele bridge plate.

Wrong!

A few weeks ago I took it all apart and carved a new bone nut for it.

I removed the RW/RP middle pickup and left it out.

And rewired it so the five position switch gives me: Vintage Output Bridge...VO Bridge & Neck...Neck...Neck & Hot Output Bridge...Hot Output Bridge.

Without the middle pickup it now sounds much more like a Tele.

I'm learning that for an authentic 50's or 60's Strat tone all three pickups must match. No more RW/RP middle pickup and no Hot bridge pickup.

But I've also learned that the presence of a middle pickup and the effect of the magnets in all three pickups pulling on the steel strings is a big reason a Strat sounds like a Strat.

So by removing the middle pickup entirely and by having both pickups have the same polarity this guitar now sounds much more like a Tele.

I have a new pickguard on order from WD. It'll be cut for a Strat neck pickup and Tele bridge pickup and drilled for a master volume and master tone. And then this guitar will be completed.

BTW, since the alnico 2 53 Style Tapped JB bridge pickup has the north poles on top, I used a middle pickup for the neck pickup. And I also had to reverse the black and wire wires on this particular pickup (a Fralin Vintage Hot) to get it in phase.

I like the tone of the Antiquity Surfer better - it's throatier and ballsier. But the Fralin Vintage Hot had long enough black and white wires to do the job and the middle Antiquity didn't. And I was curious about how it would sound.

Before:

After:

teleman1

Silver Supporting Member
Esqcostrat? Will it be this title if you remove the neck pickup? Everything you have said makes sense.

Lewguitar

Do you guys with the super-cool two pickup Strats feel that your Strat still sounds exactly like a Strat?

Because to me the neck pickup on my Strat sounds different without the middle pickup being in the guitar.

The theory I have is that without the middle pickup magnets pulling on the strings, the strings ring differently...more like a conventional two pickup guitar.

J-E-M

When I'm just using the neck pickup it still sounds pretty much like a strat, but with a bit more mid-range presence, but that's because the pickup is overwound (a little over 7k).

Waxhead

Strange cos I always thought the mid PUP was the best thing about a Strat.
I always use positions 2 & 4 :)

J-E-M

It's always been the neck pickup which has defined the strat sound to me. Different strokes for different folks - it's all kool and the gang.

M

Member 37136

Please don't take this as a criticism, but I never knew Strats would look so weird without a middle pickup!! I guess I'm just so used to seeing three .... Cool build!

Lewguitar

Strange cos I always thought the mid PUP was the best thing about a Strat.
I always use positions 2 & 4 :)
Love those tones too! I have other Strats so I still have those sounds.

This two pickup Strat is aiming for more of a "Tele in a Strat body" kind of thing. :nuts

I've had the guitar a long time - it's a great rebirth and new voice for it.

Waxhead

Love those tones too! I have other Strats so I still have those sounds.

This two pickup Strat is aiming for more of a "Tele in a Strat body" kind of thing. :nuts

I've had the guitar a long time - it's a great rebirth and new voice for it.

OK enjoy it :)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom