Strat or Tele... American or Mexican?

Bluesidae

I am a basement player who loves the blues. I am looking for something new. I have a couple of Les Paul's and want to get a Fender. The options are daunting. Want to keep it under $1500 US.

I will probably go used. Yes I will try before I buy, but I would like to narrow the field a bit. I am hoping you're can share your advice.

Thanks!

Crossroads

American Standard strats are being blown out now for $200 under regular retail, can be had for under $1,000.

They are great, and an obvious complement to the Les Pauls.

Analog Kid

Gold Supporting Member
You can't go wrong with an American Standard Strat with the CS Fat 50s.

However, if you're willing to look a little harder in the used marketplace, the best Strat I've ever owned/played was a 62 Vintage Hot Rod RI, and it would be a particularly great choice for blues. It's a standard 62RI, with a RWRP middle pickup, a 9.5" radius fingerboard, and the fattest neck you could get on a production model Strat, possibly excluding the SRV model. They should definitely come in within your budget, but can be a little hard to find.

Caribou

Gold Supporting Member
The Mexican tele I really like is the Road Worn. Otherwise, I've played some very nice American Standards that I would happily own. I own a Squier Classic Vibe that is really great considering what I paid for it. Total blast to play.

buddastrat

Road Worns are great, after some work, but Fenders are so easy to tweak and mod. as for US vs. Mexico, only way is to play and use your ears. It comes down to the individual guitar, woods, and quality of attention it was given in factory. I've seen great and horrible and in between, come from both.

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
There are dogs & gems at all price points. Judge each individual guitar on its own merits and believe what your ears & hands tell you. The last time I went guitar shopping I had $5k in my pocket each time but, after trying everything in my local dealers stock, I came home with a MIM '60's Road Worn Strat and a MIM 50's Baja Tele. My ears & hands said they were the best guitars in the shop those days and they were under $1k each new. So, sometimes you just never know ;).

cap10kirk

You really need to try some out, see what works for you. My favorite Tele is the MIM Baja Tele. It has great pickups, and the 4 way switch and S-1 make it very versatile. And, I'm a Les Paul guy, so playing a Tele feels more right to me, if that makes sense. Strats don't work for me ergonomically.

monty

What kind of specs are you looking for?
Both US and MIM guitars are fine, but for that budget you will have many more options going with MIM. You can get any style from any era 50s-modern. I'm a huge fan of the RW and Classic Players series myself.

LaceSensor1

Silver Supporting Member
I've got both, both are Americans.

I prefer the tele because I do not use the tremolo on the start and don't really like the floating bridge.

Bluesidae

Thx for the suggestions. Road works look interesting and so does the Baja. A great deal on an American would be great. I will head out to the local long and mcquade and try a few. I will try to narrow it down and then pounce on the first used deal I see!

Ilduce

And now for something completely different!
For around a grand you can get a used AVRI 52 ri Tele. And you can't do better than that for a single coil guitar. Imho! Humble or Honest, it's up to you! Lol

kiki_90291

For $1500 I'd be looking for a Strat AND a Tele. You'd be set up.
This. if you're patient you should be able to find used American Standards of each for around $1500 total. Also, the Baja Teles get a lot of love - i have not played one, but have played a n american Standard with the same pickups as some of the Baja models (Twisted Tele neck, Broadcaster bridge) and thought it sounded fantastic.

If you only want one, I'd start with a Strat because it is so different than a Les Paul (plus whammy bar!) - you'd have a wide range of tones/feels to work with.

Trending Topics