• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Strat or Tele - Maybe Both?

pgurlea

Shallow Supporting Member
I laugh as I post this, I wish everybody had such problems.:) I am a pretty die hard Gibson Les Paul guy. I have two, an R8 and a Bonamassa LP. I love 'em both. In my stable of three (wifey says having four guitars is not an option:nono), I try to keep a single coil guitar. I go back and forth between owning a Tele and a Strat. I just sold a Tele, which in my feeble mind I regret, and picked up a Vinetto Strat, which I really like. I am either thinking of swapping the Strat for another Tele or in a world outside the box, letting go of the R8 for a Tele. I was wondering if my TGP brothers and sisters have any thoughts or recommendations. I am a blues and rock guy, not a chicken picker. With the Strat I stick mainly to positions 1, 3 & 5 and cut the guitar treble to at least 5 for a thicker tone. As a Les Paul guy I struggle with the idea of owning 1 humbucker and 2 single coil guitars. I feel like I could cover Strat tones with a Tele. What do you think?
Thanks,
Paul

jpervin

Silver Supporting Member
If you live on the Strat's 1-3-5 positions and want more attitude, a Tele is for you. However, I wouldn't get rid of the R8.

lawl Dave

Is the trem of a strat important to you? I'd go for a Tele if it's not, just because I feel like you can really cover the blues strat tones with the neck pup, but get more punch with the tele's bridge.

lightningsmith

Silver Supporting Member
If you live on the Strat's 1-3-5 positions and want more attitude, a Tele is for you. However, I wouldn't get rid of the R8.
Agreed, since you're a Les Paul guy, don't get rid of the R8. Especially in your situation where you can only have 3 guitars, make sure the majority are the ones you prefer.

I personally feel that Les Paul lovers will have more common ground with the Tele due to certain similarities while playing through an overdriven amp. On top of that, the Tele is more versatile, IMHO, if you're the type who doesn't use vibrato bridges a lot.

In fact, I started a thread some time back about the sonic versatility of the Tele and how close it can get to Les Pauls and most people agree with it: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...67&highlight=telecaster+most+versatile+guitar

fr8_trane

Silver Supporting Member
I now have just 3 electrics. A Les Paul, a Telecaster and a Stratocaster. I'm happy.
+1

Everyone should own one of each. Then you need a semi hollow, something with p-90'S and something with filtertrons. Still working on the last 2.

strat6866

Option 1. Sell wife, buy as many guitars as you want.

Option 2. Rather than a $3000 strat, buy a $1000 Strat and a $1000 Tele and with the extra $1000 buy your wife some new shoes and take her on a trip. All problems solved.

jd_bassman

I have a Les Paul, strat and a tele.
I am going to sell the tele and buy another strat like guitar as I've just always enjoyed a strat more....

diego

Tele with an alder body and rosewood board (if that's on the start you like) with a strat pup in the middle.

NoBrakes

That's a tough one and I'm looking at possible the same issue... I just have been wanting to sell down.. I have a LP, p90 LP special, 82' Fullerton Reissue Tele and a Clapton Strat that has a push/pull switch so it'll do the neck/bridge combination.. The Clapton can get close to the Tele but they are still different... probably should just keep them all.

Boxnix

wifey says having four guitars is not an option:nono
Tell her she only gets three pair of shoes. The problem will solve itself lol.

I have a LP, Strat and Tele. I'm digging the combo. I don't think I would get rid of a LP for a fender though... Again I don't think your problem is with the guitars.

edward

Silver Supporting Member
IME, LP guys tend to gravitate more toward the Tele than the Strat; the former feels more "at home" than the latter.

That said, given your post I'd start with the Tele. If you find love there, then experiment with a Strat. You will eventually keep only what you end up loving. And whatever you do, do NOT rid yourself of a good LP. For me, a die-hard strat guy, I still love my Tele, and there are just some things that only an LP at full boogie can do. Nothing wrong with having a #1, then a #2 and #3 after the fact . You can always say you'll decide which to sell later ;)

Edward

Trending Topics