Strat or Tele?

• Strat

Votes: 154 49.2%
  • Tele

Votes: 159 50.8%

• Total voters

pirateflynn

Silver Supporting Member
I’m thinking of adding a traditional F style guitar and thought I’d ask what you guys think.

Back in the late 80s, I owned a couple of Jazzmasters (‘59,’62) because they were relatively affordable and remember another player in Norm’s said, ‘Man, you need a Strat!’

Anyway, I’d love to hear some opinions.
Pictures are welcomed!

cap10kirk

I like my Strat (partscaster) as something different to play from time to time. But a Strat would never be one of my main gigging guitars, whereas I would happily use a Tele as my main guitar (and that's exactly what my #1 was for years). A Tele/Esquire is more of the sound I prefer from a Fender style guitar. And contrary to popular opinion, I actually think a Tele is more comfortable/ergonomic. It just fits me better than a Strat does.

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Gold Supporting Member
I didn't vote.

Historically I've been a Strat player (since 1968). But recently I've been playing Telecasters.

I might have said Telecaster but if forced to live on the proverbial deserted island with only one I'd be hesitant to chose one without a whammy bar. And the crazy thing is I don't really use them anymore. I haven't had the bar on my main Strat in years.

So if the question was "Playing now?" I'd say Telecaster, but if the question was "All time favorite?" it would have to be Stratocaster.

fleezinator

For me, at this moment, I voted Strat. I have a set of SD quarter pounds in my nashville tele that i'm not quite vibing with. I think I'd change my answer to tele if/when those pups get swapped.

C-4

I believe you should try out both a Tele and a Strat at a music store before buying either.

Try several varieties of each to see if one or the other is more to your liking. Then start looking at options like neck thickness, wood type, including all maple necks or maple/rosewood types, pickups, the works.

Once you find the one that you most like, then make your decision.
Happy hunting. :)

Timberwolf

To me versatility is a question of neck radius and pickups (+ wiring). Strats can be HSS, HH, or even SSS visually, but HHH in reality and so can be teles (mini humbuckers, tv jones, humbucker size singles, or wide range humbcukers Seth designed for it back in 72). You name it, they've got it. The scale is the same, and oftentimes so is the bridge (for the palm feel).
So all things more or less equal (i.e. radius, profile, pups), it boils down to looks and ergonomics. I prefer contoured bodies and belly cuts (and no, I don't have any love handles or a beer belly), and not all teles got those. Mine does, but then again, it's a Yamaha, not a Fender...

Jedi

I played Strats for years...I love em. However, for the last 20 years I have been playing Teles. A good Tele can give you a great neck pick-up tone like a Strat and a spanky in-between (Neck & Bridge). The bridge pick up is where the money is. Nothing is more satisfying than a beefy bridge pickup. Tele's can be huge sounding. Great for every style of music from Jazz to Rock. YMMV

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Gold Supporting Member
If you are going to have just one, get a strat . Like others said, more versatile and comfortable to play, but having both is ideal.
There are Telecasters that give Strats a run for their money both in versatility and comfort.

The American Deluxe Telecaster HH FMT has the full Contour Body (arm bevel and belly cut) plus with the S-1 you can split coils and have a choice of series or parallel wiring. Versatile and comfortable.