Strat owners: Do you use your whammy bar?

Strat owners: Do you use your whammy bar?

• Yes

Votes: 341 60.4%
  • No

Votes: 224 39.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

grritz

Supporting Member
I've played Stratocasters for the past five years. Two or three times, I've tried out the whammy bar, putting it back away after each time. For me, it doesn't add enough capability for me to have to put up with concerns about staying in tune. What are your thoughts?

GTRJoe

Supporting Member
I have EC Strats. One is blocked the other is floating. I think it works about as good as it can. Vintage style tremolos sound good but as I'm sure we are all aware they do have a fair number of quirks and annoying little issues.

GenoVox

Silver Supporting Member
Gotta use the whammy bar... it’s part of playing a Strat, IMO

Nowadays I only use it for chords or a little accent to phrasing, like bending up into notes (think Beck on “People Get Ready” - though TBH, there are times in recent years I’ve wished Jeff would give that bar a rest... sounds like a warped record sometimes)

No dive bombs for me anymore... probably not in a couple decades :p

It helps to have locking tuners, and either a roller nut or a self-lubricating one

wreckmark

Silver Supporting Member
For me, it doesn't add enough capability for me to have to put up with concerns about staying in tune. What are your thoughts?
A properly set up Stratocaster will stay in tune with normal whammy usage. No locking tuners or locking nut either.

I used to block my trem-block so it wouldn’t move when I was younger. Then I wanted to use it and learned the secrets. The main one being making sure the strings don’t bind/stick in the nut, under string trees and making sure strings are stretched out properly. ;)

Arc Anjil

The music I hear in my head when I play just doesn't have any "whammy" in it, so neither my Strat nor my PRS have the bar installed.

Depends on what I’m going for. I’ve also got a hardtail, one with aFloyd Rose and a bunch with two point trems. I play a lot of styles and stand in with bands of many genres, so I like the versatility.

mattmccloskey

Supporting Member
Absolutely. That’s why it’s there!

To keep it in tune, you definitely have to carefully tweak the set up and maintain it. Proper stringing (with minimal wraps), careful adjustment of mounting screws, adjustment of claw, attention to nut slots, lubrication of slots,etc.

Some of the newer vintage style trems with slight tweaks work really well- I just installed a Wudtone and the stability is excellent.

cap10kirk

Yep, I use it quite a bit. Usually for a either a subtle vibrato or a little flutter here and there, I don't go crazy with it. If I wasn't going to use it, I wouldn't have routed the body for it.

Trending Topics