Strat owners: Do you use your whammy bar?

Strat owners: Do you use your whammy bar?

• Yes

Votes: 341 60.4%
  • No

Votes: 224 39.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mattmccloskey

Supporting Member
Free floating wammys for 40 years now and don’t have any problems with tuning stability. I’ve learned all the tricks of the vintage 6 screw trem and how to keep it in tune and the Polytune tuners make checking your tuning fast and easy.

Now with the Wudtone tremolo anyone can stay in better tune!

FWIW I never liked the two post tremolo despite some of the advantages.
I recently got the wudtone and it’s a great bridge. Looks and sounds like a vintage trem, but better tuning stability and no slop in the arm.

DeadLazy

I feel naked without my whammy bar and I’d switch to an HH Tele with coils split but I hate Bigsby.

That’s what I’m shopping for next and I’d rather not have to modify one myself. I’d think I’d actually have to move the switching.

Mostly it allows my to go farther with a bend, or come back down on a bend.

I don’t wind mine tight so it sits rigid but I let it hang a little lose so I can play with it in my hand and won’t have to reach for it when I am using it.

DeadLazy

To me, it doesn't feel like a Strat without a floating trem. I have fixed bridge guitars that I love, but it's just part of the instrument. A properly set up Strat trem affords a different level of expression than a Jazzmaster or Bigsby, IME, although each offers something unique. Just need a little Teflon tape (or a Callaham block and arm), good bridge mounting screw/spring/claw setup, and a properly slotted/lubricated nut.
The new Jazzmaster Pro (also called the stratmaster) has the best trem set up of any guitar I’ve had and better than my Strat.

It’s an odd guitar but I love mine. I prefer my strat but for some purposes the Jazzmaster is irreplaceable.

Uncle Vinnie

Never even screw it in the block. Just press on the block with the edge of my hand for a slight vibrato.

Now Jeff Beck on the other hand …

chopsley

Silver Supporting Member
I like the idea, but Strat ones feel too stiff (or at least mine does). I prefer the feel of a Jazzmaster trem. I've tried taking out a spring or two, but I'm not crazy about what that does to my tone.

the.godfather

Yes. All the time.

When setup correctly they can be hard to beat for me. I still think the two-point pivot trems are better when setup for that Jeff Beck flutter, 'pull up' stuff, but the six-point trems are just as good when setup correctly. I remember I had an Yngwie Strat once that just refused to go out of tune.

NamaEnsou

Supporting Member
Back when my Strat still had the stock trem I had to replace it twice due to the bar breaking off so many times and the threads stripping out. Went to a Kahler for about a year, then to the Ibanez Edge, which is still perfect. (still broke a few arms off of it, but it's great.)

natebernstein

I've owned a Strat for 25 years. For about 23 of those I left the whammy bar in the case. Then I bought another guitar with a Mastery vibrato and started appreciating the whammy a bit more. Now the bar is back on the Strat. I don't use it a ton, but there are times when it comes in quite handy and can add a lot to various parts.

grritz

Supporting Member

I remove the arm and block the trem (just like Eric Clapton approves) -- because if it's there then I'm distracted playing whammy dives and then additionally distracted from playing by trying to figure out why it's not going back in tune or that it does go back in tune and try deeper dives.

It's just a complete distraction so I block the trem. Occasionally I deck it. Changing strings or simply tuning it up goes a dozen times faster.

That’s me!

Cobra

No...
Doan need no steenking whammy!!!
Mine have been decked with 5 stiff springs for years.

Trending Topics