Strat owners: Do you use your whammy bar?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by grritz, Jul 21, 2019.

Strat owners: Do you use your whammy bar?

Poll closed Jul 28, 2019.
  1. Yes

341 vote(s)
    60.4%
  2. No

224 vote(s)
    39.6%
  1. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Silver Supporting Member

I float mine, use it a little bit pretty regularly and have no tuning stability issues on a 90s American Std.
    Subtle on certain chords in certain songs, or a little vibrato on a big bend.

MusicalMan likes this.
  2. jvin248

jvin248 Member

I remove the arm and block the trem (just like Eric Clapton approves) -- because if it's there then I'm distracted playing whammy dives and then additionally distracted from playing by trying to figure out why it's not going back in tune or that it does go back in tune and try deeper dives.

It's just a complete distraction so I block the trem. Occasionally I deck it. Changing strings or simply tuning it up goes a dozen times faster.

Brooks likes this.
  3. MickeyJi

MickeyJi Member

I use it all the time, it's gotten to the point when I play the Tele after the Strat I instinctively reach for the bar that's not there. My Strats don't go out of tune, but I'm more of a subtle shimmer and nice accent kinda guy, no divebombing.

BobK, Gaheba and ntotoro like this.
  4. jwny72

jwny72 Member

Yes, I just can't help it!

5. dmac in SC

dmac in SC Silver Supporting Member

No...not because I don't like the effect, but the damned bar just gets in the way....these days I run three springs not crossed over (with 10-46 ) strings...so I can get a little vibrato tugging at the bridge with my hand when the time is right

6. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

In my hands a trem is just a quick way to go out of tune. Love the sounds other pull from them, i prefer mine decked.
    Besides i do quite a bit of double stop bending, faux steel licks, etc - that’s easier if the trem stay put

Brooks likes this.
  7. madmarcus1960

madmarcus1960 Member

I switch my bridge to a Super Vee Bladerunner, Hipshot staggered inline locking tuners, and an ESP Trem stabilizer in the trem cavity. You can set the tension for pulling sharp and I use only 2 springs and adjust them so the bridge is just up enough to pull up a full step.
    I use these trem stabilizers on Floyd rose setups as well. No sustain lose as far as my use and more stable for a Strat setup than anything else I've used. YMMV

[​IMG]

ellis dee and stratzrus like this.
  8. madmarcus1960

madmarcus1960 Member

Also keeps guitar in tune for double, single bends. Kahler makes a similar trem stabilizer.

9. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I voted yes but the real answer is sometimes.

I have a Strat that I use the whammy bar on and one where it's not even attached.

It depends on what style I'm going to play.

10. sjruvolo

sjruvolo Member

What's the name of this song? Drawing a total blank and it's become the current ear worm.

11. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

12. sjruvolo

sjruvolo Member

Totally Bored and Blix like this.
  13. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

I'm lost without it. I use it mostly for subtle pitch shifting. I also reach for the "talent" arm on guitars without it.

14. Yamaha 350

Yamaha 350 Member

Yes. But when I did not it was on there for looks. It looks great. Looks like all those guitars I saw on TV growing up. Never dreamed I would own one and learn to play.

15. 61cygni

61cygni Member

This is really fun to play with the whammy:

Blackstone and VHS analog like this.
  16. Igotsoul4u

Igotsoul4u Member

I can't stand how out of tune it gets. I have music man axis w/floyd rose if I need whammy action. I don't even know where my strat's whammy bar is these days.

Benderp and Brooks like this.
  17. Brooks

Brooks Member

I came up on EVH, Vai, & Brad Gillis, not subtle vibrato chords (not that I don't like that sound). So I use my Ibanez for trem bar playing, and leave the bar off my strat. I know its possible to play a trad trem in tune, but it ain't easy.

18. USMarine75

USMarine75 Member

Yes, all the time.

With a strat... Mostly for vibrato, but also sliding in an out of notes (compounded with hammer-ons and pull-offs), flutter, and I really like landing a 1/2 step low and then bending up into the target note a-la Beck.

For vibrato, a lot of times I don't even have the bar in I just use my palm.

I have no idea how people are setting up their guitars that they keep going out of tune with mild trem usage. I could see if you're going full EVH on it, but if your guitar is going out of tune with vibrato and 1/2-step trem usage, that's on you and not your guitar... (unless you're using a Gibson).

19. eigentone

eigentone Supporting Member

Yes and No. I have two Strats. A 50s style and a 60s style. The 60s style is blocked using a Tremel-No. The 50s floats. I play Jazzmasters more than Strats and I really prefer that trem.

20. Coolidge

Coolidge Member

Mine is BLOCKED OFF with the sticker still over the whammy bar hole.