Strat owners: Do you use your whammy bar?

Strat owners: Do you use your whammy bar?

• Yes

Votes: 341 60.4%
  • No

Votes: 224 39.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Oinkus

Fender 2 point floating and 6 screw vintage are different critters. Properly setup they can both be used to make good sounds. I use them as required for covers and if more is needed I have Floyds for that. Prefer Babicz bridges personally on everything and they are superior.

Pongo

Heck yeah I do.

I wish I used it more! I mean, that's what the wriggly thing is there for, isn't it? It's not like I'm going to use it to play a full double-stop bend solo, so...?

GuitarMike69

I've got a tool box in the shop with 30 or more whammy bars, almost all of them from strats.
I always keep at least one strat set up floating with two springs and haven't decked my Suhr yet, but I'm a diehard strat guy and prefer them decked with 5 springs. I can't stand the way open/lower strings go flat when bending higher strings on a whammified rubber band guitar, takes way more energy to bend to pitch, too. I enjoy the Bigsbys on my Brian Setzer and Chris Issak guitars and occasionally time warp to the 80s with the only Floyd Rose guitar I've kept around, but my #1 gigging guitar is a decked 5 spring strat.

McShred

you have to have it set up right. A decked trem is all but useless. The G string will come back sharp every single time. If you're going to deck the trem, you might as well throw the bar away and be done with it.

To operate correctly, the trem must be floating. On a 6 screw, that means loosening the springs enough that the trem comes forward about 1/4", then you'll likely need to lower the saddles a bit to compensate so the action remains the same

Once set up like this, and with a lubricated nut and stretched strings...it'll stay in tune like crazy.

Last edited:

tiktok

Supporting Member
All my non-hardtail Strat's are set up to use the whammy bar. Hark Marvin and James Calvin Wilsey are my role models.

doc

Supporting Member
I use them on some of my Strats, but on the cheap copies the instability is too much of a problem. Thanks for the reminder that I need to get around to making blocks for those.

Yes as I'm a big Deep Purple and Blackmore fan.

Ive got a Black and Chrome Squier Fat Strat with matching 70s headstock.

I've got a 2 point set floating and it stays in tune well..I can dive till the strings go slack and it stays in tune..I lubed the nut and saddles a few months ago and it holds tune.

I'm leaning towards setting the trem to dive only as I want to play more Drop tunings but the strat was designed to be floating. :(

I do wonder if that is why(besides having better techs) Blackmore stayed in tune after whammy abuse better than Hendrix. I think Jimi had his whammy as dive only.

rednoise

For my first several years of Strat use I never used the whammy... because it was a hardtail model. I loved that guitar and wish I had never let it go. I kinda wished I had one at the time but I think I understood that it was almost a separate instrument that would need serious study, plus I was afraid of tuning issues. About 8 years later I finally got a Strat Plus with a 2-point bridge and roller nut. I was pleased that it stayed in tune very well even with vigorous whammy use. I've had several Strats since then and currently have three, and all of them with 2-point floating bridges; roller bridge is helpful but not required. This is my formula for success - tuning is always very stable. I've never owned one with a 6-point vibrato bridge.

I figure half the point of playing a Stratocaster is the whammy. I use it quite a lot for various articulations that I can't get with fingers alone. If I'm in a non-whammy state of mind I'll play something else. That said, I'd like to have another hard-tail Strat, but I consider that to be more of a Telecaster with different ergonomics than a Stratocaster.

Blooby

I have a MIM that has a great Stratty sound. I want to block it off to toy more with pedal steel type bends. Having said that, I want a Strat set up decently for whammy.

I have a Gretsch with a Bigsby, and I've got a Steve Morse model MusicMan with a bar, but there's something special about a Strat with a good bar.

dsmc80

I use it on all of my strats non stop. All non locking. Just need a well cut nut and set up bridge. Suhr, Fender, etc. etc. Couldn't be without them. I have non vibrato bar guitars and I love them too, but I would never have a strat without them (and I've previously owned vintage fixed tail strats as well)

MaxTwang

I've decked them for decades with 6-screw bridges but now my tech insists on setting them up properly then using a properly sized wood wedge to securely hold the bridge in place. Like decking but with the bridge in proper position. The wedge is held with tape and can easily be removed if/when needed.

mdog114

I have a few to choose from, but the one that sees the most action is a hardtail, next in line would be my HSS with the whammy.

Hofnarr

Yeah and anyone who doesn't really should have just bought a Tele IMO.
Well ... if you want three pickups that you can get five sounds out of, instead of 2 pickups that you can get 3 sounds out of, you'll probably want to look at a Strat instead of a Tele, regardless of how you feel about whammy bars.