Strat owners: Do you use your whammy bar?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by grritz, Jul 21, 2019.

Strat owners: Do you use your whammy bar?

Poll closed Jul 28, 2019.
  1. Yes

341 vote(s)
    60.4%
  2. No

224 vote(s)
    39.6%
  1. mdog114

mdog114 Member

I have a few to choose from, but the one that sees the most action is a hardtail, next in line would be my HSS with the whammy.

2. Hofnarr

Hofnarr Member

Well ... if you want three pickups that you can get five sounds out of, instead of 2 pickups that you can get 3 sounds out of, you'll probably want to look at a Strat instead of a Tele, regardless of how you feel about whammy bars.

jbcohen92 and DeSolo like this.
  3. FStrat_man68

FStrat_man68 Member

I use it sparingly just to add a touch of vibrato. I keep them on mine because its part of the vibe of the iconic instrument that a Fender Stratocaster is. Don't dive bomb!!!

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  4. Johnny Ninefingers

Johnny Ninefingers Member

Yes. And so does Jeff Beck. (But better, alas.)

5. Gibson Dog

Gibson Dog Silver Supporting Member

Yep, not a lot but I definitely use it. If you have tuning problems from using a whammy bar your guitar isn't setup correctly. No disrespect intended - if you have a pro set the guitar up correctly you won't have to worry about tuning, intonation or any other issues.

I know a lot of people think they don't need to spend that money & are more than capable of setting up their guitars, they aren't. If they were there would be no worries or issues.

6. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

Don’t own a Strat, but all of my guitars have whammy bars and licking tuners and I use them every day!!!!!

7. hitchcockblonde

hitchcockblonde Supporting Member

One song I do an Adrian Belew ripoff solo, one or two I do some moderate wiggling, and a few I'll add some slight vibrato on clean sustained chords. I set it up as per Fender to float a bit, use locking tuners (though stretched strings work fine I like how fast the lockers are) and it stays in tune great. It's a two-post unit, which probably makes it easier. Just adds some fun to playing :)

8. mule train

mule train Gold Supporting Member

Use and abuse all 5 of my Strats! All setup the same
    Floating six screw vintage (Highwood saddles, Wudtone plate, Callaham block)
    good cut nut (Tusq XL)
    vintage style safety post tuners (Kluson Revolution)

Highwood GP and Atmospheric like this.
  9. Agramal

Agramal Member

Nope, I blocked my trem.

10. GGinMP

GGinMP Silver Supporting Member

What about using the palm on the bridge for a little vibrato, but not the arm?

11. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Supporting Member

FWIW, you can make a 6 screw vintage trem function just like a 2 screw by... wait for it... back off the center 4 screws about a turn or so. Not doing that is a recipe for a trem that won't stay in tune.

I'm actually glad so many eschew trem use or deck it. Heck, I wish everyone but me would stop playing Strats altogether. If I were the only Strat player on the planet, people would think me a genius. Otherwise, no hope of that happening.

12. rednoise

rednoise Member

Reply to myself... another preference for my whammy-equipped Strats is locking staggered tuners. The stagger is the main thing - it lets me dispense with string trees, which I consider to be a potential sticking point, and it allows me to do a few bending tricks behind the nut. The locking thing is nice for quick and secure string changes, but is less a factor for tuning stability, as long as the nut is cut well and lubricated. I swore by Sperzels for years but lately I like Hipshot Grip-Lock Staggered Locking Tuners. Easy to install and lighter than the Sperzels. Technology marches on!

Johnny Ninefingers likes this.
  13. drewl

drewl Member

That's what it's there for.

Tommy Biggs and Telechamp like this.
  14. saltbird

saltbird Member

I've had strats where I could dive bomb the trem arm into the pick guard all day and never have to re-tune. I've also had strats that would slip out of tune just from dipping it down a quarter step.

15. DeSolo

DeSolo Silver Supporting Member

Nope. Mine is blocked.

16. wire-n-wood

wire-n-wood Member

I use unison bends often, and the Strat whammy screws that up.

I have a Hagstrom Viking with a trem bar, and I can do unison bends on that without going out of tune. So I kinda judge the strat whammy by that standard.

17. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

Very often for chord shimmers, here and there for inflections.

I reserve true wang bar strangulation for my Floyd and Kahler guitars. :wave

18. Furilla

Furilla Odd Bird

Pretty much all the time.

19. massacre

massacre Silver Supporting Member

Played a Strat for my only guitar almost 20 years, but it was an ‘83 and had a Kahler so a little different
    Had the snap in trem arm.
    When it was setup absolutely perfect, I used it with good results but 95% of the time I never used it.
    I love JMH too but my trem never performed like a normal Fender unit so I just left it off

20. cra1987

cra1987 Member

Nope, mine’s decked. I never learned how to adjust when bending so that the other strings don’t sound horribly out of tune.

It works for Clapton and Mayer, so I’m certainly not going to question it