Strat: Physically Incapable Of Hitting The Volume Knob

2Poor4TGP

I've been hearing for a long time about the flaw in the placement of the controls on strats, especially the volume control. Many of you have had a problem with constantly hitting the volume knob while playing and sworn off these guitars over this issue alone

It's never once happened to me and for fun, I intentionally went far out of my way to hit it while playing for a few minutes. I'm talking wailing on the strings, playing with my pinky finger sticking out, etc.. Not only was I unable to affect the volume knob but I can't even imagine what I would have to do to even touch the thing. Can some of you explain the mechanics of what is happening with your picking hand while playing to make this such an issue?

Phila67

I've been hearing for a long time about the flaw in the placement of the controls on strats, especially the volume control. Many of you have had a problem with constantly hitting the volume knob while playing and sworn off these guitars over this issue alone

It's never once happened to me and for fun, I intentionally went far out of my way to hit it while playing for a few minutes. I'm talking wailing on the strings, playing with my pinky finger sticking out, etc.. Not only was I unable to affect the volume knob but I can't even imagine what I would have to do to even touch the thing. Can some of you explain the mechanics of what is happening with your picking hand while playing to make this such an issue?

I'm with you. Never had a problem with the volume knob. The issue i have is that I often move the switch from the neck to neck+middle if playing in pos. 4 when strumming rhythm.

2Poor4TGP

Fascinating Update: I finally figured out the technique. I had to consciously anchor the side of my pinky finger on the volume knob and never lift my picking hand from the strings more than a quarter inch. Frankly, it's a bizarre way to try to play a song, but to each his own, I guess.

hemmelight

It can become a problem if you try to palm mute the high strings.
Then the volume knob is right in the way of your pinky finger (at least it is for me), so I have to manoeuvre around it.

When it comes to just playing big strummy chords it's not a problem for me personally. My hand moves forward out of the 'problem zone' anyway.

cr1961

Agree, I've never had that issue. I always similarly wonder how some people get the wear patterns they do, especially on acoustics above the soundhole, but that's a separate issue.

If I'm really strumming or doing some Frusciante/Cory Wong type stuff, I will knock the 5 way selector from time to time, but that'ts it.

I don't believe you aren't able to see how the volume knob placement might be an inconvenience.

I'm a pinky anchorer and have to be cognizant of the knob when I play my strat, and I also have to work around it for palm muting.

Lonnie00

Gold Supporting Member
I’ve literally done it once in 20 years of playing I just happen to be videotaping myself when it happened. I do pick near the bridge pickup though

Surfreak

It only became an issue for me on one of my Strats, which had a low friction volume pot, and I would hit it accidentally.
It came like that and I have no use for a low friction pot, so I replaced it with a regular one and that solved the problem.

2Poor4TGP

I don't believe you aren't able to see how the volume knob placement might be an inconvenience.

I'm a pinky anchorer and have to be cognizant of the knob when I play my strat, and I also have to work around it for palm muting.
Well, I can see now how it's done after more experimentation. However the picking technique to make it happen reminds me very much of those savages who hold a fork with a practically clenched first.

Liko

I've never had a problem hitting the volume knob. My issue is the pickup selector. Strum just a little too far on Sunday morning and the selector switches to Saturday night.

Whether it's the selector or the volume knob depends on hand size and position, but the root of the issue is that these controls are right in the sweep of your right hand. The usual presence of the waggle stick, often floating right over these controls, exacerbates the issue when trying to grab the bar in a hurry.

Despite that, Strats remain my favorite body shape/config, my primary's an HSH and I have two more on the wall, including an older primary guitar I used for years. You get used to it as you get used to any guitar's ergos.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom