Strat Pick Up Recommendation

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Kozlomike, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Kozlomike

Kozlomike Member

Ive got a plus deluxe strat with red, blue and silver pups. They sound good, but sometimes I just get a feeling that something is missing. I love playing the blues but also very much into jazz and fusion, and was thinking of possibly replacing them. David Gilmour has those EMG Sa's in his strat - never played them. Is there anything out there that is spectacularly amazing, or should I keep my laces tried?

2. DownByLaw

DownByLaw Supporting Member

Ah, I have one of these also. I like the stock setup, with the addition of a jb jr over the red, but have had great results with a Suhr lps set in this guitar. (esp. with blender setup ala acme)
    Cannot comment on actives.

Patrick

3. marsos52

marsos52 Member

i know you will get tons of replies and there are some amazing pickups out there
    but fralins still rise to the top when the smoke clears

the vintage hot is my favorite never loose there voice and are very versatile for many style of playing and amps

marc

4. Kingbeegtrs

Kingbeegtrs Senior Member

Ever tried the Lollar Tweeds?

I think that Acmeguitarworks has a page that has clips from all of the top pickup mfg's - check it out.

5. jzgtrguy

jzgtrguy Member

The Choices are bewildering. I am thinking of putting Lollars Blondes in my strat. I am one of those guys who hates 60 cycle hum so I am also looking at a few noiseless solutions. Like DiMarzios "Area" pickups, Joe Barden S style, Suhr has a new pickup out that is not noiseless, I think it is called FL Pickups or something like that I no he also makes the Noiseless back plate solution. between the pup and the plate your talking something like $500!

6. Juanito Burrito

Juanito Burrito Member

One word: Kinman

I have the Woostock Plus with his blender system, and it kills.

7. Kingbeegtrs

Kingbeegtrs Senior Member

I've used lots of sets of the Lollar Blondes...they're very warm and mellow. One good thing about Lollar's pickups is that they're very quiet.

8. Bluesjam

Bluesjam Member

Will Boggs Hot Rods.

9. pennylink

pennylink Member

I've used a Kinman Blues set in my Strat for years. Killer tone AND noiseless. Nails Gilmour if you want them to.

10. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

Lindy Fralin's pups are incredible if your looking for the classic fender tone, I have the Blues Specials, don't forget the base plate on the bridge pup really makes a difference. The blues specials are darker, like a P-90 which was what I was looking for,

http://www.fralinpickups.com/stratstyle.asp

The Rio Grande Dual Calibrated, have that on my fat strat, amazing versitility, plays everything great, have the humbucker split coil which really opens up the range on my fat strat.

http://www.riograndepickups.com/

Jerry Amalfilitano is local, great pups all around, have his humbuckers in a semi-hollow body, his strat pups are incredible as are his P-90s great complex tones from those pups.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res8n7ad/amalfitanopickups/id2.html

really the hard part is desciding which why to go, having a couple of strats made it easier for me, only one strat would probably go with the fralin vintage hots, they are a known excellent pup that gets the great strat sound.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  11. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

My favorites are:

Lindy Fralin Blues Specials. I also like the vintage hots. They actually sound very similar, but the BS's give you just a little more roundness.

Amalfitano VS Set. These are 50's style, so they are very weak, but clear and complex with lots of chime and spank. The only thing I wish is that Jerry would wind the bridge just a tiny bit hotter. I have the neck and middle set pretty low and the bridge set very high to get the proper balance. I guess this is to be expected when you are winding to 50's specs though. His other Single Coils are very good too. I have a friend who has his SP Set, and they are killer blues pups.

WCR SR's. Talking Jim into winding you a set is tough, but if you can get him to do it, they sound great. Stay away from used ones though. I don't have confirmation of this, but I believe he changed his formula at some point. I have 2 sets of them and one set sounds absolutely glorious. I use these in my HSS Strat with a DarkBurst bridge. The other set is uber bright and twangy with maybe a little too much bite. They are several years old, which is why I think he might have refined them since then. They are now sitting in an Amalfitano box on the shelf.

12. Sleepy

Sleepy Member

I had a set of the gilmores in an old strat of mine giged with them twice then took them out.
    I still have them if you want them

13. Gris

Gris Member

Lollar blondes or Fralin VH or Vanzandt VP for classic Strat tones. All will get you there.

14. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

For "vintage" Strat tones, next to vintage Fender's, the best I've tried in 40+ years in the game are the Don Mare "Josie" wound sets (like old Fender's: clear, focused, thumpy, with no mud or ice pick). Most "modern" tone Strat pickups I've tried tend to sound about the same to me with varying degrees of too much mud or ice pick.

15. Kozlomike

Kozlomike Member

These look very good, I think I'll give em shot! - Thanks

16. Kozlomike

Kozlomike Member

Thanks for all replies so far; there seems to bee a lot of happy kinmann people. I think I might go for that, and replace the maple neck with a ebony one while I'm at it (love the slick feel). I also have a springy sound that is an exact replica of a 57 strat. And would very like to have that amazing vintage tone. Fralin, Van Zandts and the don mare's interest me. I'm open for any ideas. Decisions, decisions, decisions!

17. burner

burner Member

I've tried quite a few and the ones I like best at the moment are the Van Zant "Rock" pickups. They are fattter but still "stratty"....I like 'em a lot!

18. pennylink

pennylink Member

One question I would ask myself is: do I need/want noiseless? If you do, Kinman would be my 1st choice. They are excellent pickups that come in different flavors, with very close to 'true' Strat tone, and they are 100% noiseless. If you can live with some hum, some of the other suggestions might get you closer to what's considered vintage Strat tone.

19. Felixun1

Felixun1 Supporting Member

Van Zandt blues. Best strat pickup for the $ available (IMHO)