Strat pickguard HSS for covered humbucker

Chris Milne

I got a Bare Knuckle Mississippi Queen for the bridge of a Squier i'm redoing, i purchased an HSS pickguard from somewhere, it looked squared off but it doesn't fit. I could almost shove an EMG through but it would still require a bit of modification, but the Bare Knuckle needs more space. I noticed the volume/tone pot holes were also small like my Squier (and won't fit the CTS/Bourn style pots i'm planning to use). Surprisingly, the holes do line up pretty well for the 11 screws.

Any recommendations for pickguards that will fit a covered humbucker that may be a bit on the larger side? Even the Warmoth site doesn't show an option for "covered pickup". I don't want to spend too much, but recommendations that are maple or something else interested may be cool too (and easier to modify).

Thanks!

aussie_owner

I ran into this same problem with a Warmoth Jazzmaster pickguard. Apparently there are different sizes of HB pickups, and they default to the smallest so as to not have excess space around a smaller pickup. A few minutes with sandpaper is sufficient to enlarge the openings.

danel59

Check out WD pickguards. They offer pickguards for both covered and uncovered humbuckers

movingpictures

Supporting Member
Warmoth has a pickguard builder on their site, and offer a size to fit it. And a bunch of other options.

J Factor

Supporting Member
Warmoth does offer it - you need to select the option for "humbucker" for a covered pickup, versus "fat humbucker" for an open-bobbin pickup.

I just got a Warmoth pickguard last week for my strat, and it fits a covered 'bucker perfectly.

Chris Milne

Warmoth does offer it - you need to select the option for "humbucker" for a covered pickup, versus "fat humbucker" for an open-bobbin pickup.

I just got a Warmoth pickguard last week for my strat, and it fits a covered 'bucker perfectly.

Cool thanks. Are your pots full size as well, like CTS or Bourns style, or Alpha size? Is that an american made or non USA? Mine is a cheap model i bought when living in Asia. Plays great, electronics were terrible

J Factor

Supporting Member
Cool thanks. Are your pots full size as well, like CTS or Bourns style, or Alpha size? Is that an american made or non USA? Mine is a cheap model i bought when living in Asia. Plays great, electronics were terrible
This is a '95 Standard Strat (made in Mexico), my first guitar. I'm the original owner since it was new. The pots were full-size CTS from the factory; the original pots, switch, and pickups are still working great in the original pickguard!

Chris Milne

Thanks for all the replies, i received a reply from Warmoth and he echoed the info above about humbucker vs fat humbucker (though i feel their naming convention is confusing), etc

"Our “Humbucker” rout is for humbuckers with a cover. Our “Fat Humbucker” option is for humbuckers without a cover.

If you scroll down on the page you can see the measurements for our Humbucker rout so you check to see if it will fit your Bare Knuckle pickup.

You can also use the “Will it fit?” section and follow the directions to print out a PDF of the pickguard to make sure it will fit with your body.

Our control holes are 3/8”.

Now i have to just decide if i want to spend another $35 plus on a pickguard for a squier rebuild. It will be $50+ just for pickguards. I may customize the one i have, f i was starting over i'd definitely get the Warmoth. The "will it fit" is an awesome idea.

aussie_owner

Thanks for all the replies, i received a reply from Warmoth and he echoed the info above about humbucker vs fat humbucker (though i feel their naming convention is confusing), etc

"Our “Humbucker” rout is for humbuckers with a cover. Our “Fat Humbucker” option is for humbuckers without a cover.

If you scroll down on the page you can see the measurements for our Humbucker rout so you check to see if it will fit your Bare Knuckle pickup.

You can also use the “Will it fit?” section and follow the directions to print out a PDF of the pickguard to make sure it will fit with your body.

Our control holes are 3/8”.

Now i have to just decide if i want to spend another $35 plus on a pickguard for a squier rebuild. It will be $50+ just for pickguards. I may customize the one i have, f i was starting over i'd definitely get the Warmoth. The "will it fit" is an awesome idea.
Interesting. I bought a Warmoth Jazzmaster pickguard, and spec’d humbucker route for my Railhammer pickups, and wound up having to sand the openings to get them to fit. I couldn’t find the pickup route dimensions anywhere, and still don’t see them on the JM page. I emailed Warmoth, and they told me what I posted above about the route being sized for the smallest HB cover. (Apparently there is more than one size of HB cover?)

Edit: I checked the Strat page, and they do list the HB route dimensions. The problem I ran into was the narrow dimension of the route was exactly the size of the pickup, 1.5”. I had to sand the top and bottom on the long sides, plus sand out the radius so the corners fit. Kind of a pain, but didn’t take all that long.

Odd that they don’t show, or even link to, pickup route dimensions on the JM page.

Last edited:

Chris Milne

I would say just enlarge the holes on the one you have and save some money.
Yeah probably my path, if the color was good it would be my definite choice. The parchment does not look like my aged white or parchment guard from before, it's much whiter. Not a big deal as its not a primary guitar, just makes the rebuild less enjoyable when they don't come out as you envisioned.

Anyone know if a flat file or sand paper is the better method? Sand paper i assume i can rap around a block or something that is similar to the size of the opening so it remains straight across at least.

Also, should a standard drill work on opening the pot holes to accommodate 3/8" pots, or do i need to get a reamer?

Doomrider78

Yeah probably my path, if the color was good it would be my definite choice. The parchment does not look like my aged white or parchment guard from before, it's much whiter. Not a big deal as its not a primary guitar, just makes the rebuild less enjoyable when they don't come out as you envisioned.

Anyone know if a flat file or sand paper is the better method? Sand paper i assume i can rap around a block or something that is similar to the size of the opening so it remains straight across at least.

Also, should a standard drill work on opening the pot holes to accommodate 3/8" pots, or do i need to get a reamer?
I used 22 grit sandpaper on my Strat pick guard and it worked like a charm.

Chris Milne

Thanks...it was pretty easy to make it fit with some sandpaper and a block, next i have to widen the pot holes. Even though it's subtle, still love the aged color on the stock pickguard compared to the whiter replacement (HSS) one. but since it's a cheap guitar i dont want to purchase another pick guard yet.

Now i have to decide to use the whiter pickup covers or the ones that are aged (that match the knobs i bought)...any votes? edit: the squier pickup covers didn't fit properly, so parchment it is.

Last edited:

Trending Topics