Strat pickguards.... how do you correct "loose" screws??

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by griffstrat, Nov 20, 2005.

1. griffstrat

griffstrat Member

same ole story...replacing and removing various pickguards and pickup combos over the years, now some screws are not snug and tight anymore. What will remedy this...things I can do.

Gracias Amigos....

Bryan

2. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

I've always had great success with small pieces of toothpick and Elmer's Glue. Put a little glue in the hole, and line the hole with tiny strips of toothpick. This works for all kinds of holes, not just little pickguard holes. I've fixed strap holes, using this household remedy. Toothpicks are hard wood, so they'll grip the screw just fine.

3. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Member

4. axpro

axpro Member

As a Guitar tech in a retail environment, I have to say....

I do the exact same thing!

hardwood toothpicks, I happen to use weldbond, and if it is a rush job, I use cyanoacrilate (superglue)

works every time... I just like to make sure I use enough, and i prefer the thicker round toothpicks. but that isjust me.

Dave Mc:cool:

5. griffstrat

griffstrat Member

Thanks guys.... Just got thru eatin' some ribs and been pickin' my teeth with some tooth picks. Maybe those small pieces of meet and BBQ sauce will fill those holes good!! :dude

6. Kevan

Kevan Member

As an alternate to the toothpick, but in the same vein:

I use sawdust (usually from maple or another hardwood) and mix it with a nice blob of Titebond wood glue onto a piece of scrap paper. I get a nice pasty mix- about the consistency of bread dough- and use a toothpick to insert the mix into the appropriate hole.

I'll then thread the screw in, and wipe away any excess as it bubbles/squeezes out the top. Then let it sit another few minutes, remove the screw, then go back and re-assemble.

It takes a little longer than the straight toothpick method, but...it gives a nice re-thread, with no visible signs.

7. griffstrat

griffstrat Member

Yeah, I remembered that option from shop class...but we had a lot of extra sawdust and glue lying around.:p

8. Zexcoil

Zexcoil Vendor

+4

9. mccreadyisgod

mccreadyisgod Member

I'd use a good wood glue or superglue over Elmers, but pretty much the same method, toothpick and all.