Strat pickup choice

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Soundhound, Nov 19, 2005.

1. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

I've got a set of Suhr V60LPs in my G&L Legacy and I love them. I'm now in the process of trying to turn my off the rack American Standard into a better strat andI'm thinkning about either a set of Lollars or Detemple Sweetspots or maybe the Wagner SRs (if Jim can manage the time to make a set). I have Wagner Darkbursts in my LP and love them a lot. I'm wondering if the Detemples and Suhrs might not be closer to each other in tone, while the SRs would be a little in different? In which case I'd be interested to try the SRs.

Can anybody compare the Detemples to the SRs and Suhrs V60LPs?

2. jcshirke

jcshirke Silver Supporting Member

I can't comment on the other pickups you're interested in, but I can tell you that the Fralin vintage hots I put in my '88 Am. Std. Strat saved that guitar. Sounds to me like you're trying to do the same thing--make an otherwise pretty useless guitar into something that you'd be happy to play in most situations? Fralins worked wonders for me. But I'm also very interested in DeTemples pickups.

Good luck.

Jeff

3. Curly

Curly Member

I admit I'm not sure, but I thought DeTemple used Lollars?

4. stratofied

stratofied Member

This is true, but with a bit of a twist.

5. jcshirke

I thought he made his own pickups. He gives that impression on his web site. Details??

6. Curly

Curly Member

maybe DeTemple specs his own pickups, but contracts Lollar to wind them ... at least, that wouldn't surprise me
    in any case, Lollar lists DeTemple as a client:
    Lollar customers

I know there's a Dean Parks video, and he said his DeTemple had very well balanced pickups across the positions

7. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

Since you already have a set of Suhr V60LPs, check out the Sweetspots - they are in my number one. My number two has Suhr V60LPs.

Sweetspots and Suhrs are as different as night & day - as different as can be. Suhrs are hotter, Sweetspots are more balanced. Suhrs are juicy, DeTemples are quacky and gush glassy strat tone. Suhrs are greasy, Detemples are the absolute best clean strat tone I have played. Suhrs are slightly overwound, DeTemples are vintage wound.

Lollars & DeTemples are entirely different pickups - the ALNICO magnets on Detemples protrude out of the backs of the bobbins, Lollars are machined flat to the bobbin. In that respect, DeTemples differ from every other pickup I have tried.

I have tried every variety of Fralin ALNICO strat pickup (Vintage, Vintage Hot, Woodstock, Blues Special, Custom Winds) and they are not in the same league as Suhr or DeTemple. Fralins are sterile in comparison.

8. jcshirke

Fralins "sterile"?? I don't think so, not even by comparison. You may prefer the other pickups--that's cool, and thanks for the detailed info on them. I'm certainly interested in checking out Suhr's pickups and DeTemple's, and I'll probably go that route on future Strats I buy. But "sterile" still is just not a word I'd use to describe Lindy's stuff. My vintage hots sound great--warm, balanced, and musical-- and were a huge improvement over even Fender's custom shop fat 50s pickups. "Sterile", imo, only applies to stock Fender pickups.

9. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

Thanks guys, great info and insights. Sounds like it might be down to the Detemples and the Wagner SRs. Can anybody compare those perhaps?

10. Souled Out

Souled Out Member

I begged Jim Wagner to make me some SR's. I then sent my custom shop Strat to RS Guitarworks. They installed the PUPs, upgraded the electronics and added the Buzz Feiten bone nut. I also had them set it up for Snake Oil number 9's. I remember Roy at RS asking me what Strat tone I was looking for. My reply was I didn't know how to answer the question, but when I heard it I'd will know. I've had the guitar back for month now and know there is nothing more I can do with this guitar. It is my ultimate Strat. My Strat tone hunt is finally over FOREVER! I am a BIG fan fo Jim's pickups. I put some Goodwoods in my Historic LP and also upgraded the electronics, GAME OVER! :dude

11. Kidcactus

Kidcactus Supporting Member

I have a set of Wagner SR's available, they are already mounted on a Rio Grande white pearloid pick guard with all the premium electronics and shielding. Let me know if your interested.

12. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

Fralins are sterile in comparison to Suhrs & DeTemples - I stand by that statement having tried them. I played strats with Fralins for years before making the switch. I, too, was sold on Fralins maybe as much as you are now.

After having played Fralins for years, I determined them to be good but not great.

13. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

I also disagree with Fralin's being a sterile pickup. They may have lost their unique boutique status but, to my ears, the Vintage Hots w/SP43 Bridge set remains the Strat pickups to beat. Side by side in a shootout they may come up a bit thin but played at volume and in a band environment I think they cut through with throaty, sweet, punchy Strat colors out the ho-ho's. I also have lots of fondness for Suhr, Lollar & Van Zandt winds. Some of their offerings bore me but the V60LP, Blondes and Vintage Plus are as good as it gets. Plus, I can't help but fall in love with Seymour's Antiquities.

Maybe I'm just a push over and haven't develop the auricles required to differentiate the best Strat pickups?

Or maybe I'm just narrow enough to know best?

14. Hi do you still have your wagner pickups for sale? Are they the single coils or humbuckers?
    thanks
    tony

15. DerekMinnich

DerekMinnich Member

From my understanding, Lollar makes Detemple's pickups and the specs for them are basically like Red Rhodes' Velvet Hammers (a fabulous pickup, super clear sounding clean tones, I love em). There are several choices you can go with but Lollar has a great reputation so I'd have to suggest him.

16. DerekMinnich

DerekMinnich Member

Oh, and theres Jim Rolph too(If no one has mentioned him)...another guy that I've heard a lot of good things about.

17. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

Dean Park's video demo of the sweetspots has to be one of the most beautiful strat tones I've ever heard.......pretty much perfect in everyway.

Clear, chimey, sweet, bell like, meaty, piano like, tight bass strings, tacky/quacky/clangy....it just has everything in a balanced, complex mix.

18. PinkStrat

PinkStrat Member

I really love Jim Rolph's Pretender Pickups. They're as close as you will ever get to the real Fender pickups. I now have 3 sets and the're all so different from each other. Once you dial them in to their sweet spot they are just INSANE! My latest are his '56 sets and they really give you a really wide midrange to the tone. And this one ash-bodied white Strat of mine (with a maple fingerboard) sounds like EJ now (sans Nickel Rockers of course). The other two sets I have on other Strats sound like Jimi Hendrix and Terje Rypdal respectively. Jim Rolph's the GUY for Fender style pickups IMO.

Having said this, I also love FrankenStrat2's special Kinmans. The only noiseless pickup for a Strat I like (so far anyway). I also like what Bill Chapin does with the Velvet Hammers...that speaks for itself.

19. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I've got a set of the new Seymour Duncan Classic Stack Plus pickups on the way should have them on Thursday, anyway they are noiseless but from the reports on the guys that used the prototypes have said they are very vintage strat sounding for noisless pups.

SD i guess came up with some newer methods for getting rid of the hum so I will see how good these are, these are just starting to hit the streets so there isnt to much feedback yet!